Notices

Fancy joining me in a 7 day juice detox?

Old 01-11-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Eating healthy eliminating wheat oats and gluten and a superfood powder does the same thing if not quicker. But there are many detox paths
Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've been a fitness competitor for many years and know extensively how the body works and I agree with the above poster about it's a fad. The liver doesn't need help it just needs water healthy food and possibly a spirilina / chorella powder to help. No drastic measures are needed.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

But whatever makes you happy do
Old 01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree juicing is awesome. Certain blends work really well together and create positive flow. I always add ginger to most of my concoctions. The typical ingredients are : beets, carrots, apples, celery, kale, cabbage, ginger, garlic, lemon, cucumber and a few others. Also lemon juice is really great first thing to kick start your body. Ease and flow baby
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm with the others. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The first couple weeks are just about the removal of the alcohol, supplemented by a nurturing and healthy diet. Focusing on the emotional and psychological aspects of detox will take a lot of your initial energies - whether you do that through AA or your own internal work (reading/journalling) or therapy...

You're kind of a whirlwind of chaos there in those first couple weeks. A lot is going on physically without the kick of a juice fast. It could make you much sicker.

I'm an advocate of juicing and clean eating and fasting. I'm doing all that right now, but today I've just completed 5 months of sobriety. I've gone in phases - adding in positive elements like fresh juice, exercise, new sober friendships and deleting negative elements like alcohol, cigarettes, sugar. All in stages as I feel (almost) ready for each shift.

So, like the others, I counsel patience and prudence. We're not trying to be downers to your enthusiasm (and I think all of us support and recommend the ADDITION of fresh juices during your first few weeks of detox), but a juice FAST could speed up the negative symptoms of detox in a dangerous way. People do actually die from alcohol detox.

So, my vote is to get the juicer, get the veggies, juice away, quit drinking - but also listen to your body, eat enough protein daily (you do need that for alcohol detox), take lots of walks, and seriously - in the first couple of weeks - respond to alcohol cravings with sugars. Your body has been receiving immense amounts of sugar through alcohol. Fruit sugars might be enough, but most folks allow themselves the first month or two to eat whatever their body craves as they right and balance the deficiencies of so many years of body abuse...

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress! The most important thing is to let go of the alcohol; the rest will come as it comes...
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Sorry I've been out of touch this week.
Thanks for all your helpful, supportive messages.
After listening to your advice, I modified my detox, and I drank fresh juice for breakfast, then in the evening soup and raw foods. The first few days I was thinking about alcohol a lot, but I am proud to say I have been sober for 6 days now! I feel so proud of myself and I am determined to keep it up this time. The only reason I am overweight is the amount of alcohol I had been drinking from morning till night for years and years. It is true, I have been a lot hungrier this week, but I am a raw vegan so I'm hoping the weight will drop off me now, I calculated that I was taking in about 2000 calories alone from alcohol daily No wonder I am 2 stone overweight. Onward and upward! I feel determined to stay sober now....
Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Baybee, Here's my experience with juicing exclusively since Jan. 2 ie/ I'm on Day17 today. I have been drinking since I was a teenager and I'm 51 now. Thanks to drinking, I have developed atrial fibrillation, high triglycerides, a sore liver, prediabetes, rosacea, and I could go on. I have always eaten well, but like you, the empty calories of drinking piled on the pounds. In the past 6 years I have tried to quit drinking countless times and never could make it last past a few days.

Last year I saw the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead about Aussie Joe Cross and his juicing journey to good health. I watched it several times, then did additional research on juicing. I decided to give it a try on Jan 2. I did check in with and discuss the plan with my doctor and she was fully on board, saying the most important thing for me right now was to lose weight.

I was also worried that I might get sick from withdrawal, so was very conscious of how I was feeling and was prepared to go to the doc if it got really bad. The first day, I was freezing and had a terrible headache. The second day, I felt like I was coming down with the flu. By the third day, I felt much better and each day since has been amazing. I have more energy than I have had in years. I've started taking some fitness classes, swimming and taking long (5K) walks with the dog. I have lost 16 pounds so far and have not had even one craving for alcohol. Not even one. I still have wine in a bag (a gift from Christmas) in my closet and I'm thinking of who I can regift it to.

It could be that it was just exactly the right time for me to stop. I have been praying for help from above throughout. I spend an awful lot of time buying vegetables, juicing, cleaning the juicer and filling my days with healthy options without leaving a lot of empty time. I'm also drowning in water, coconut water and herbal tea. No caffeine either!

I think the premise of a juice reboot/fast is to reset your mind away from salt/fat/sugar and give your body a rest. Part of it is that if you're not eating, the concentrated nutrition of the produce allows the body to begin healing itself without having to worry/focus on digestion. If you fast longer than 15 days, you should be adding a healthy fat (some flax oil, for example) and some additonal protein into your juice on a daily basis. I use pumpkin seed protein powder, but there is also pea protein or hemp protein if you're vegan.

There are many support groups for juicers and many of them are long-term, going as long as 90 days for the morbidly obese or some with other serious health issues. THere are countless testimonies of people who have reversed their type2 diabetes, who are now off their high-blood pressure meds, who have lost a lot of weight. Many people with terrible skin conditions have seen fantastic improvements.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, but this is my experience thus far. Many people say that once the juice fast is over, all of the weight/health issues will return. Not necessarily. As with any type of addiciton, whether food, alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc. you have to basically recreate your life as you want it to be and have some place to go for support, inspiration and encouragement. If you go back to your old habits after a juice fast, well then yes, things will go back to where they started. But if you keep moving in the right direction, you can achieve anything.

After my juice fast, I plan to continue juicing for one meal per day with the option to do smaller (1, 2 or 3-day fasts) periodically. It helps that I love the taste of the juice. I am trying to move more exercise and meditation into my life. I am keeping a journal where I document my changes, my feelings. My thoughts are becoming more clear and a big part of that is remembering a lifetime of alcohol and how it possibly got so bad and how awful I FELT countless times over the years after doing stupid things in a drunken haze. I'm also part of several online communities where juicers congregate and must say, the support is just as wonderful (and helpful) as it is here. People share their struggles and their triumphs and it's a good thing.

I just wanted to share that with you from someone who is doing it right now. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like any more info.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Baybee with your Sobriety!! 6 Days is fantastic!!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great going on 6 days Baybee!!