Notices

Help me remember

Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Patricia, i can assure you i have been through the same racing thoughts and feeling like it will never end. if you drink, you will have to keep on dealing with this, and probably much much more. That is what alcohol does.

But, there is an answer and you can get better simply by stopping drinking. I have tried all sorts of crazy things to get myself to calm down, but invariable the 2 things that work are: not drinking and time.

All the rest - spirituality, fellowship, SR, diet, exercise, faith, following a program - will help you keep sober over the long run and find the amazing person that you are. But you will not have the chance until you have sobriety and time on your side.

You can do this.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I like that AH! I could always quit but not so great at giving it time. I could compete in "giving up 2 minutes before the miracle happens" events if they were a sport. Anyhoo, all this talk of time is BS anyway. Right now I can be sober and that's all there is and folks with a lot of " right-now-sober" strung together seem to be best at it. They must still be practicing (Big Secret: practicing is not drinking and facing everything). Your post made me cry Pat. That means 1) I'm a mess emotionally, and 2) I've felt exactly this way more than once and have not had to since plugging the jug. You can do this.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you have to slog through this to get to the other side, it's painful but it's the only way. Drinking only perpetuates the cycle. Close listening to something -- music, a movie, a podcast -- really helps me get away from my monkey brain when it's chattering away with anxious thoughts. I also use a magnesium supplement called natural calm. But the most important thing is starving the beast. Not drinking. You can do it.