Notices

I wish it was that easy!

Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wish it was that easy!

Hi guys,

Just looking for some thoughts on this. I'm sober - have been for over 6 months but I'm also pregnant. I've found that a lot of my family/friends think me being an alcoholic is automatically removed now I'm having a baby/becoming a parent.

I get a lot of....you must not think about drinking now that your pregnant?! I still go to AA, log onto this site a huge amount and try to continually work on myself. I know something like this shouldnt bother me but it really does! I know if I stop doing all the things I do I could easily pick up a drink regardless of the fact I'm pregnant (that sounds really bad when I write it down but its the truth)

I know it shouldnt matter what others think. This seems a really daft post but I feel a lot better getting it out.

L x
Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For women with a drinking problem, being pregnant is certainly not a light switch to being desire-free! For normal drinkers, being pregnant is a complete and instant dealbreaker.

Keep up the good work, and let the well-meaning questions go in one ear and out the other. With the hard mental work you're doing staying sober, you don't need to be guilted that you're not a saint "for the baby's sake!"

You're responsible, and you are normal!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never drank when pregnant. however, my sons were raised by an alcoholic mother and that is something I will never forgive myself for. Ive accepted I did it and i marvel at the men they have become despite having an alcoholic for a mom. The disease is relentless. Now if you decide to drink again you will be directly affecting the most important person in your life. Im very very glad you are sticking with AA. Share your feelings with the women there. I promise they know EXACTLY where you are coming from.

BIG BIG HUGS to you !!!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very proud of you Foolsgold....your sacrifice will be richly rewarded indeed!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your pregnancy

I was still drinking when I got pregnant. I was lucky as had very bad sickness so didn't want to drink. I think I would have found it hard otherwise, though as you say admitting that is really difficult.

keep doing what you are doing and congrats on 6 months sobriety too
Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't drink while pregnant (twice) but had cravings to drink. I drank once the babies were born maybe a month later so be vigilant about after the birth also. Congratulations xx
Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

are you working those 12 steps? that is the recovery part of those meetings.....
Old 01-07-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
are you working those 12 steps? that is the recovery part of those meetings.....
Yes I have a sponsor and I'm working through the steps.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate somewhat. I talked to my mom yesterday to tell her I'm starting college next week. She was excited...then said...well, you can stop going to those meetings now cuz you don't need them anymore. I'm a little over 90 days. The worse part is...I considered it! That is my AV's new disguise. This addiction seems to know every meeting I attend shrinks it's power. When I don't go, it grows. Thank goodness i received a call from a friend and fellow AA member that set me straight.

Jennifer
Old 01-07-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're wise to recognize it.

Keep working your sobriety no matter what others say or think.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
I can relate somewhat. I talked to my mom yesterday to tell her I'm starting college next week. She was excited...then said...well, you can stop going to those meetings now cuz you don't need them anymore. I'm a little over 90 days. The worse part is...I considered it! That is my AV's new disguise. This addiction seems to know every meeting I attend shrinks it's power. When I don't go, it grows. Thank goodness i received a call from a friend and fellow AA member that set me straight.

Jennifer
Thanks Jennifer. That's it! Its looking for an excuse at any given opportunity but I know me drinking...well it lies with me. I still have to fight everyday not to pick up a drink. Even though my thoughts are fleeting they still exist. Just feeling slightly frustrated at the moment.

Leigh x
Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I think that it's great that you got that off your chest and this is a good place to do it. I think everyone here is used to hearing things that "sound really bad" but many of us understand it, while others without alcohol problems just don't get it.