Notices

Advice for tomorrow

Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for tomorrow

Hi everyone! Here on day 4. Excited, but going back to work tomorrow and worried about coming home from work being stressed
Out, etc. Any suggestions ? Thinking of going to an AA meeting. Also, I've read the RR site and made a "quick plan" to help maintain my sobriety but wondered if you all could give me some more tips or things I should do? Other lists I need to make or precautions I should put in place. Also, have only admitted my addiction to my husband so far and no one else. Should I tell my sister?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas for tomorrow. Make sure you have snacks and drink for throughout the day, being hungry can lead to cravings. I craved a lot of sweets at first, most likely making up for the lack of sugars from all the beer I wasn't drinking anymore.

I didn't tell anyone except my wife at first, it's a personal thing for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott!! Me too- I loved beer!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First work is work, it is stressful or else they wouldn't give us money for it

Second, an AA meeting will not hurt. The main thing for after work for me was finding ANYTHING to do other than drinking. You have four days, tomorrow is no different other than being at work during the day. When you get off work make a plan to log in here with us, eat a good meal, drink water, and if you can, exercise. Exercise includes jumping jacks in the living room, stretching, meditation or well, you have a husband so sex too Do something that makes you feel good.

The plan is not to drink, ok? Hang with us on this, we will get you through all the bs work brings, I promise it isn't bad enough to drink yourself into oblivion about.

If you can, snack a little before you leave work. Sugar mainly. This isn't the best advice in general but we are trying not to drink tomorrow night, so whatever it takes, ok?

My main struggle has always been work stress, but I finally figured out for me to leave it there, I had to have something to look forward too. It used to be oblivion with alcohol.
Now it is anything else I can get. Food and exercise is easy to come by really
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is great advice! Thank you so much, it's such a relief knowing I have you guys!!! Yes the goal is to do anything but drink! I have started working out a ton more so I have that in place and hopefully some sewing if I'm up for it! Really appreciate you all...
Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My sister sews, and well I am a guy and her brother so I picked on her once about how boring that was... her reply was "so getting drunk and high is really so much better?" I shut up...

This was 15 years ago Sew away!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by leharris111 View Post
and hopefully some sewing if I'm up for it!
What are you sewing ?

I'm making a patchwork quilt at the moment -very slowly..

You 'll be fine, stay close.

I find regular meditation really helpful to deal with stress-just some simple concentrating on the breath, nothing fancy.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Youncan do this leharris.

An AA meeting sounds great and so does a sewing project.

If arriving home from work is a trigger, try changing your routine for that time of day - go the gym or take a walk when you get home. Sometimes just getting past the bewitching hour helps.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't see any reason to tell your sister just yet. However, if she offers you a drink or suggests drinks you could tell her that you're not drinking anymore. It all depends on what depth of conversation you want to get into just yet. There's really no harm in telling her either.

In past (and failed) attempts to stop drinking I found that I would purposely not tell people to give myself a safety net for when I would inevitably order that martini when out with friends. I only say inevitably because I was never serious about quitting until this past June. Not serious, not ready, so I wanted to keep that safety net.

This time around, when I knew that I was done, I waited to tell people when it came up. I wanted some serious sober time under my belt. So, one by one, when we'd be out, I'd tell my friends that I don't drink anymore when they would suggest going out for a drink.

Now that I think about it, why not tell your sister? The more people we have on our team the better.

As for the tomorrow after work question.....Let me think. I hung/clung onto SR for hours in the evenings the first few days. I literally didn't leave the computer.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Janie I'm sewing a shirt! Just got a new machine for Christmas
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas for tomorrow. Make sure you have snacks and drink for throughout the day, being hungry can lead to cravings.
I second this. I find it good to eat something healthy and satisfying right after work and this prevents the desire to drink in the evening. An empty stomach seems to be a trigger for me.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by N3p3nth3 View Post

I second this. I find it good to eat something healthy and satisfying right after work and this prevents the desire to drink in the evening. An empty stomach seems to be a trigger for me.
Definitely. I find if I eat as soon as I get home from work I have way less of a craving for booze.