Notices

brother in crisis after a year and a half of sobriety

Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brother in crisis after a year and a half of sobriety

Hi All,

My brother just said "I want to drink myself to death". I am a 37 year old man and I feel like a child right now. I'm on this forum to understand what options there are for a bipolar person who is suicidal for long term, deep therapy. He is insurance-less, just lost his job and fell off the wagon a month ago after a break-up. My wife and I are struggling emotionally with each other, as frustration builds up. I am on the verge of tears as I write this, and waiting to hear back from my mother and her boyfriend on whether they are getting him to the emergency room for suicide watch. I feel overwhelmed and lost, but mostly sad that this otherwise sweet wonderful man is suffering at this deadly disease. I'm going to look through some of these other topics to see what I can find. So far I'm aware of the state funded crisis center, which is limited and has been tried before. Al-Anon where my brother went and found it tremendously depressing to listen to. Please don't take offense to that, as I think highly of the organisation. Alcohol is his gateway drug and he has gone through a multi week treatment. I've got to step away and let him fall for my own sanity and marriage, Starting to ramble. Thanks for any guidance or experience.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation.

I'm glad that someone is hopefully taking him to the ER. That's the best place to get help.

Do you mean your brother went to AA? This is not the same as AlAnon. AlAnon is a good option for you and your wife to use as support. You might want to check it out yourself.

Also, the Salvation Army offers free long-term rehab for anyone who wants it.

http://satruck.org/national-rehabilitation
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

Maybe he did go to AA rather than Al-Anon. I just thought they were one in the same. Thank you for the link to SA, I'll exlore that as an option. Anything to put my energy towards something positive is good right now.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

They are not the same.

AlAnon is for friends & families of alcoholics to find support for themselves.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum Zachlund

I agree with Anna im glad someone is taking your brother to the ER

Al anon would be really good for you as it is for friends & family of the alcoholic Alanon Information Cartersville GA - addiction to alcohol, Cartersville GA Alanon Information, Cartersville GA AA program, Cartersville GA alcohol addiction treatment, Cartersville GA Alanon programs

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Zachlund.

I can understand your need to pull away from this situation.

I'm sorry about your brother.

Please keep us posted and post here when ever you need to.

Take care of yourself
Old 01-02-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

double post

Last edited by JanieJ; 01-02-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

I am so sorry for what brings you here, I can see the stress in your post. For many, bipolar and alcohol abuse go hand in hand. Hopefully he will admit to the emergency room the same thing he told you. If he is admitted, I would encourage you to seek out the social worker immediately so they can help find local or even non local resources for inpatient treatment. Be looking for a dual-diagnosis facility which can deal with both his bipolar and his addiction.

I understand that money is a factor. He may have to travel to find a place, it would be worth it. Remember, dual diagnosis is the way he is going to find help.

I am glad you are here. I encourage you to seek support through Alanon yourself, many there will understand your plight and offer you face to face support.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's already some great advice here zachlund, so I'll just say welcome

Do what you can to help your brother for sure - never forget but the buck stops with him, not you - hopefully he'll see the need for him to pick up the ball from there

D
Old 01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, if he has no job and no insurance, have him apply for state medical insurance.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hugely helpful, every comment. I'm so grateful and don't feel quite so desperately lonely and frightened by understanding options.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also, I did contact Salvation Army, and once this critical time is over, they said he would probably be a good candidate. He just has to want to go. Need to pull myself together to set some serious consequences if he doesn't make some changes. I know what they are, just don't know how to vocalize them to him when I actually speak.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zachlund View Post
Also, I did contact Salvation Army, and once this critical time is over, they said he would probably be a good candidate. He just has to want to go. Need to pull myself together to set some serious consequences if he doesn't make some changes. I know what they are, just don't know how to vocalize them to him when I actually speak.
Could you write them down in a letter for him to read?

Keep strong xx
Old 01-04-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasha for the suggestion. I will do that. My brother refused the ER, police came and could do nothing. The best I can do is dis-associate from him. Allow him to fall. Pray for an outcome that allows him to grow, and protects my family. I meet with a therapist on tuesday to learn how to allow him to fall.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

he may be entitled to medicare or medicaid with obamacare....

ER can help!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry Zachlund hope it goes well with therapist remember we have a friends & family section here that will help

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome. Keeping your family in my thoughts...