Notices

Low

Old 12-24-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Stewy - give the tablets time to work.
It might be you wake up one morning and feel better.
It might be a more gradual thing.
But they will work and you will get there.
Its a hard time of year when you are not feeling on top of the world.

Have you got any family or friends nearby?
What are you doing for company?

However low you feel, we are always here.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Stewy.

I suffered my first episode of major depression when I was sober, more than twenty years ago. I'd just lost someone dear to me, and had each and every DSM symptom in the extreme. Sever insomnia, loss of appetite -- lost thirty pounds in about four weeks -- feelings of hopelessness, self-criticism, lethargy, lack of motivation, loss of interest and pleasure in things I used to enjoy. My achievements meant nothing to me, and I had nothing to look forward to in life. I believe that because I was sober for several years at the time that I was not plagued with suicidal thoughts or impulses, even though I felt I was dying and would die from a broken heart. At the same time, my father was also dying of cancer and I was working in a high-pressure environment with correspondingly high visibility. I'm one of those people who comes to life in an emergency, so I was torn between just disappearing and being extremely active in my own life. The philosophers refer to these events as "existential moments" or "boundary situations."

I was resistant to take medication for my condition, but my depression had other things in mind. I went for about a full year with talk therapy alone, until I acknowledged that I'd run into an insurmountable wall. I then went on antidepressants, and (fortunately for me) quickly felt my life coming back to me while continuing in therapy. As far as I was concerned, I came back from the dead. Again.

Many people discount the biological aspects of clinical depression. It's a disease of mind and body. Following my successful experience with medication (and yes, I'm aware that it's not for everyone), I resumed numerous physical activities again...skating, martial arts, cycling...and it all helped, including the social aspects of each pursuit. Much like getting sober, I had to unlearn my depressive behaviors which, for me, included being more social than I'd been, avoiding isolation and being honest in my dealings with other people. "Being social," not in the sense of randomly surrounding myself with other people or going out of my way to meet new people (though that happened along the way), but allowing myself to let in helpful people who truly cared. That whole period was a life-changer for me. Both the suffering and the "recovery."

For those of us who tend towards isolating when things are bad, even getting out of bed can seem like an exhausting and unattainable goal. But we do get out of bed, and we do make the necessary changes in our lives. There was no other choice for me. As bleak as things seemed when I was depressed, both sobriety and treatment for my depression have opened the doors to a life I never imagined was possible, or even existed.

If only a single person can recover from the kind of depression you describe, then it means that everyone else can as well.

What worked for me, in both my sobriety and my depression, was to ask for as much help and support as was available, as much as I could bear. There's no reason you can't do the same.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great words end game
Old 12-24-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, don't give up hope that the antidepressants will do their job. It does take time, and remember that you might have to try a different one before you find one that works well for you. It took a few tries for me and I'd all but given up, and then thankfully, one of them worked. It levelled the playing field for me, so I can get out and do things that continue to make me feel better.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling more up soon,Stewy. Depression stinks.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope the anti ds will kick in soon Stewey - and keep up the self care whoever hard it might be - shower shave, take a walk, clean the house. It really will help whats your Xmas looking like? family stuff? D
Hi Dee,

Got family stuff all day, my mum and dad came round last night and pulled me out of bed and sat with me for a bit. That helped.

My dad said I needed to will myself to do things so I have to try to otherwise I'll be in this spiral for longer than I need to be.

Just not easy and meds need to kick in soon!!
Old 12-25-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Stewy - give the tablets time to work. It might be you wake up one morning and feel better. It might be a more gradual thing. But they will work and you will get there. Its a hard time of year when you are not feeling on top of the world. Have you got any family or friends nearby? What are you doing for company? However low you feel, we are always here.
Hi sasha,

I have family around so planning on immersing myself in that for the time being and then I'll need to make a plan of sorts including reconnecting with guitar playing and exercise
Old 12-25-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can always pm me if you want to talk Stewy
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi Stewy. I suffered my first episode of major depression when I was sober, more than twenty years ago. I'd just lost someone dear to me, and had each and every DSM symptom in the extreme. Sever insomnia, loss of appetite -- lost thirty pounds in about four weeks -- feelings of hopelessness, self-criticism, lethargy, lack of motivation, loss of interest and pleasure in things I used to enjoy. My achievements meant nothing to me, and I had nothing to look forward to in life. I believe that because I was sober for several years at the time that I was not plagued with suicidal thoughts or impulses, even though I felt I was dying and would die from a broken heart. At the same time, my father was also dying of cancer and I was working in a high-pressure environment with correspondingly high visibility. I'm one of those people who comes to life in an emergency, so I was torn between just disappearing and being extremely active in my own life. The philosophers refer to these events as "existential moments" or "boundary situations." I was resistant to take medication for my condition, but my depression had other things in mind. I went for about a full year with talk therapy alone, until I acknowledged that I'd run into an insurmountable wall. I then went on antidepressants, and (fortunately for me) quickly felt my life coming back to me while continuing in therapy. As far as I was concerned, I came back from the dead. Again. Many people discount the biological aspects of clinical depression. It's a disease of mind and body. Following my successful experience with medication (and yes, I'm aware that it's not for everyone), I resumed numerous physical activities again...skating, martial arts, cycling...and it all helped, including the social aspects of each pursuit. Much like getting sober, I had to unlearn my depressive behaviors which, for me, included being more social than I'd been, avoiding isolation and being honest in my dealings with other people. "Being social," not in the sense of randomly surrounding myself with other people or going out of my way to meet new people (though that happened along the way), but allowing myself to let in helpful people who truly cared. That whole period was a life-changer for me. Both the suffering and the "recovery." For those of us who tend towards isolating when things are bad, even getting out of bed can seem like an exhausting and unattainable goal. But we do get out of bed, and we do make the necessary changes in our lives. There was no other choice for me. As bleak as things seemed when I was depressed, both sobriety and treatment for my depression have opened the doors to a life I never imagined was possible, or even existed. If only a single person can recover from the kind of depression you describe, then it means that everyone else can as well. What worked for me, in both my sobriety and my depression, was to ask for as much help and support as was available, as much as I could bear. There's no reason you can't do the same.
Thanks endgame
Old 12-25-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Praying for you Stewy. I know that feeling very well. You are not alone. Take care.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey hang in there - I know it's easier said than done .... I've started up on Sertraline again about 4 weeks ago ..... the side effects are hell .... I'm feeling worse than ever ... Dr told me can take 6 - 8 weeks before they start to take effect .... hoping they'll work soon.
xxxx
Old 12-25-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hugs, Stewy. Sounds like you have a family that loves you who are willing to hold you up as long as you need them. What a blessing!
Old 12-25-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Stewy.

Reconnecting with guitar playing sounds like a great idea.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just got back from a full day of Xmas festivities and it's comforting to know how fantastic my family are, I live them all very much and am very fortunate to have them.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

((((Stewy)))) so happy you had a good day!

It was very helpful for me to have a structured schedule in the early days. It was hard for me, I had to change a lot of things! But it worked.
Bewt wishes for you, sweetie!

Love from Lenina
Old 12-25-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
((((Stewy)))) so happy you had a good day! It was very helpful for me to have a structured schedule in the early days. It was hard for me, I had to change a lot of things! But it worked. Bewt wishes for you, sweetie! Love from Lenina
Thanks Lenina!

One thing that's sticking most is the need to avoid any introverted or introspective type activity, my dad who has experienced depression says it is not going to help me and that I need to be busying myself with people, activities and everyday tasks.

Just need the medication to lift my mood though
Old 12-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I think your Dad is right.

I would force yourself to do 2 things a day.
1 thing in the morning and 1 thing in the afternoon.
Might be go for a walk in the morning and do laundry in the afternoon. Or go to the cinema in the afternoon and go the supermarket in the morning.

Low mood makes us feel inactive. Been inactive leads to low mood.

I am really happy you have your family around you.
I am super happy your Dad loves you and cares and can share his experiences with you to help you feel better.

Nice people deserve nice things happening to them.
You are a nice guy xx