Notices

Really want to better myself

Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really want to better myself

I am 41 years old and a crack addict. I have a wonderful family and a loving wife who stands by my side regardless of my problem. I have been using off and on for I would say 10 years. I used to do crack once every 6 months but for the past 2 months, I disappeared a total of 2 times to go on a crack binge. I keep telling myself and my wife that this is the last time and will never happen again. I'm scared of who I have become and want to get rid of this problem forever.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Pengo. Many here will relate to what you've said. You are not alone in this - glad to have you part of the family.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pengo

I have no experience with crack myself but I know you'll find support here, both in this forum and in our substance abuse forum as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Pengo first off well done on finding us youl find a ton of support here

Nice to meet you

Ive never smoked crack but ive been clean from cocaine for nearly 4 years and ive been sober 17 months
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn. I was reluctant to post my problem on here initially. Was afraid of being looked down on and belittled. This last time I messed up, my wife actually didnt even get mad when I finally came home. She looked more sad than anything else. And this just killed me.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for welcoming me
Old 12-22-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Pengo for me its starts with acceptance are you going NA mtns ?

there is lots of help support & guidance here to help you

you can do this
Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family Pengo
Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Pengo!!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no experience with crack myself but a close friend of mine has struggled with it for years. He also tends to disappear for days at a time once or twice a year. I'll get a call from his brother from time to time looking for him. We put two and two together and figure he's on a binge somewhere.

It sounds like a dangerous situation to be off on a crack binge. Can u involve your wife more with keeping you clean? Like having her control the money?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Pengo.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
Thank you Hevyn. I was reluctant to post my problem on here initially. Was afraid of being looked down on and belittled. This last time I messed up, my wife actually didnt even get mad when I finally came home. She looked more sad than anything else. And this just killed me.
Welcome Pengo. No one will belittle you. We're all addicts here, one way or another my friend.

Good to have you on board.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our addictions definitely cause sadness to people close to us but we have a nasty habit of blaming them. I invited my wife to join me at a few 12 step meetings and she was happy to do so and now if I miss a meeting for a few days, she encourages me to go. It's helped our relationship enormously.

Do come here for all the support you need Pengo but please also think about meetings and face-to-face support.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pengo, welcome to SR. And no judgement here. We are all dealing with some addiction issue.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi pengo. I am also 41 and recently decided that I don't want to spend another 20 years feeling like crap. I quit meth in my early twenties only to trade it for a constant drinking problem. I've also seen many of my friends and family struggle with their various drugs of choice over the years. Point is, I expect I'm not alone here. Addiction is addiction and SR is a great community of people that realize this, in many cases have dealt with numerous addictions themselves, and are supportive in our efforts to change. Stay strong and best to you!