Notices

People are seeing me differently

Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile People are seeing me differently

Hey folks, I guess I'm just checking in. Today is Day 14 for me, that's 2 weeks, which I'm kind of amazed about.

I'm feeling good, and because I'm not drinking, I'm getting things done. Also I've been meditating, and going to the gym. There's even something that looks like a muscle developing on my arm!

The last few days have tested me, as I'm far enough away from the last horrible binge to forget why I needed to do this, but I've managed to stick with it.

I've probably said this before but one thing that really gives me strength to keep going is noticing how other people are responding to me now. A bunch of people have made a point of saying what good company I've been, and that they want to see more of me. I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

I met someone in recovery who said - "As you get further into sobriety you'll start seeing just how much alcohol has taken away from your life." She said there are probably things that you're not even aware of that drink has robed you of. This is a massive motivation to me to keep at it. I want, more than anything, to see who I really am, and who I can be at my best.

I hope this post chimes with some of you out there, and you can find some similar motivation to stay sober.

Eyes on the prize!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Amazing job on 2 weeks Jack exellent post
Old 12-19-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 12-19-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats on 2 weeks Jack. well done.

I don't know if you are into the 12 step thing or not. Maybe give it a read. That comment about 'discovering things' is certainly true. If you do a step four inventory early in sobriety and then do one six/twelve months later, you'll start to 'discover' things you didn't recognize the first time. It's a cool exercise to do.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
congrats on 2 weeks Jack. well done.

I don't know if you are into the 12 step thing or not. Maybe give it a read. That comment about 'discovering things' is certainly true. If you do a step four inventory early in sobriety and then do one six/twelve months later, you'll start to 'discover' things you didn't recognize the first time. It's a cool exercise to do.

Keep up the good work.
Hey LeBrain,

I've been going to meetings, and sharing every time. As yet I haven't moved towards getting a sponsor and starting the steps. I'm aware that this is probably my fear of really committing to getting sober. I guess I should.

I've read lots from the Book, and I've got a basic familiarity with the steps. I also know people who've been through it, including my Ex. The change it made in her is phenomenal, which is why I started going myself.

I definitely want that side of the recovery.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks! That is wonderful! I think it's great that people have been noticing changes in you. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job Jack! Keep it going!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on two weeks, Jack. You wise to recognize the danger in which many alcoholics find themselves when they are feeling well enough to forget just how miserably they felt after the last binge or extended drinking period. It is so easy, at that point, to 'think' that moderation is possible or that one night of drinking might hurt.

Really great job for recognizing this danger, Jack.

And yes, alcohol robs us of so much especially ourselves. But little by little we come back; that is one of the best parts of recovery - finding ourselves again.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great post! Thank you for sharing. Im close to my 60 days and it really is true. I feel better, I look better, I sleep better and my thoughts are better. Life is way better without being a slave to booze. =)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey Jack, thank you for an inspiring post !!

Congrats on two weeks, that's awesome
Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you! Congrats on two weeks! Keep up the great work.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks! Believe in yourself!