Notices

Immediate Confession

Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Immediate Confession

I was reading on Facebook that a young relative is going to Ireland with a college class.

So suddenly, I start thinking about 'someday' going back to Ireland, and since its Ireland, allowing myself to have a Guinness.

It bothers me when these things happen. It kind of scares me a little, that the thought is even there. It's almost worse than a craving in its deviousness.

Anyway I just wanted to share it right now, get it out of my head and into the eyes of friends who understand.

So crazy how these alcoholic minds can ambush us.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for posting freeowl
its only a thought and you have seen it for what it is so you will grow again from it in time people will mention irelend and you will think of fishing or the land rather than a Guinness lol
Old 12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I assure you there's a lot more to do on the Emerald Isle than drink the black stuff!!

It took me a while to adjust my perspective too, but there is a whole new world here that doesn't involve alcohol.

Here's a tourist advert to get you in the mood, with only 1 shot of Guinness in the whole thing!!

Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I doubt that I will never think about it again once in a while. Like a cigarette smoker after 20 years, once in a bleu moon the thought surfaces.

Booze will always be part of me, but I will keep the beast in remission.

Nice honest post, thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It would be so fun to visit Ireland. I'm sure that if I went, I'd have one drink just to celebrate, but that would be it.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting about it, FreeOwl.

You know, I suspect that a Guiness in Ireland tastes the same as a Guiness in the US!!!!!

As Pupleknight stated, there's so much more to Ireland than the beer and ale. You will do fine if you do visit, just fine.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephendu View Post
It would be so fun to visit Ireland. I'm sure that if I went, I'd have one drink just to celebrate, but that would be it.
Only one... This falls in the unicorns category.. He he!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

I've been to London and Paris and Vegas and Beijing and Kuala Lumpur and DC and the bars in my own hometown sober and had a great time. No sense Ireland can't be the same.

I've had Guiness in Ireland. It got me drunk same as anywhere else. I don't want that anymore. Just annoying to even have the thought.

But thank you for being here to talk about it.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to Ireland and Scotland a few years ago. Went into a pub in Dublin and felt like Alice in Wonderland. Very dark, mostly men everyone stands at small tables. Not the plushy bars I was used to in the states. Didn't drink beer as I never liked it. It was interesting.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling, powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if your mind tried to convince you on the "art" of Guinness. Or that it is lower calorie than a soda or fruit juice. You did the right thing, air it out, recognize the deception. Alcohol - definitely ninja level dark side of the force.
I still romanticize every now and then, three years into sobriety. It's like a disease in remission that peaks its head out every now and then! Thank god for other drunk friends like ya'll - keeping us all honest and vigilant.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have those thoughts out of nowhere. If I see something that reminds me of something... And it's so weird because I can remember exactly how it tastes. 1 might be nice but it's that 1 that causes the trouble and we are over dealing with it.

We don't want to drink anymore, that's it. Thoughts are just that, thoughts. I'm glad you got it out of your system.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL, I used to work in a sensitive law-enforcement job. I'm retired now, but when I first got sober, I got all sad about the thought that I could never go to Amsterdam once I retired (now you wouldn't have to go so far) and legally smoke weed.

Then I remembered, I never even LIKED weed back in my college days. I think once or twice in my life I bought any for myself, though I would socially have a toke or a taste if it was being passed around. I never liked it, though--it made me paranoid and edgy. Alcohol I loved, but not weed. Still, there I was feeling like I would be missing out on something.

Wacky addicts that we are.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have thought the same thing about going back to Las Vegas, but then I think, that's not a good idea.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I can so relate. I can't even go there to thinking about a Las Vegas trip or a cruise. Not just yet.

Imagine driving through the Irish countryside hungover and shaking while your buddies all feel great!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've had thoughts in the past about moving far away to a tiny desert island where I could drink myself to death. It's absolutely insane. You're not alone.

However, as they say: wherever you go, there you are. If you ever do go back to Ireland, or anywhere else in the world, you'll bring your sobriety with you. I think you'll find it's more valuable to you than a pint. The more I watch the tourists down here booze it up, the better I feel about being sober down here. I think you'll feel the same on your next vacation as well.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Yeah, I was in Shannon for a couple days and unfortunately was too preoccupied with drinking with my buddies to do much of anything else.

How sad.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Thanks all.

I've been to London and Paris and Vegas and Beijing and Kuala Lumpur and DC and the bars in my own hometown sober and had a great time. No sense Ireland can't be the same.

I've had Guiness in Ireland. It got me drunk same as anywhere else.
Great points. I learned through experience that kindling hangovers and alcohol withdrawal are there with the drinking no matter which exotic locale we drink in. I learned this with trembling hands and an aching head in Fiji!

I wonder if the voices one would hear during DT's in Ireland would have an Irish accent?