Notices

Reality Check... :\

Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reality Check... :\

Hello everyone,

Well today I had a reality check moment. Worked from home today then met up with my co-workers for the yearly Christmas lunch...was wondering how I would feel and I did end up making it to the restaurant. However, I had to leave early because my anxiety was really kicking in. My main issue since being sober has been waves of bad anxiety and some mild dizziness / coordination issues. Also have some low energy days but those seem to be fading a bit.

While I have been getting slowly better, I have days where it whacks me and my mind can't just overcome it. It was a big crowd, so that likely had something to do with it...these days prefer smaller groups.

So now I'm having to calm my mind after what I was hoping would be an event to hold out as a sign of progress. Rationally I know this is just part of the process, just wanted to get it off my chest as it was a stressful situation...maybe I'm pushing things too hard for a return to "normal".
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you've done really well. I'm inly a couple of days sober but think it will be a good 6 months before I try a social event.

You should be proud if yourself x
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't like parties at all. Large groups of people make me nervous.

I think you did well! You didn't drink - that was the goal.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did this same thing yesterday, by going back to the office after being off for two weeks. I landed with panic attack by the end of the day. I'm not far enough into my sobriety to give you my perspective, so I'll wait to read the feedback from the veterans.

The plus side is you made it to a company Xmas celebration. A double whammy stressful event indeed!

Take care
Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Give it time, and plenty of it.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You did well, Plure; you recognized a problem and exited the event when things became too much. I think that is progress!!!!

And you most likely left with an understanding that you may need to avoid similar circumstances until you are stronger in your sobriety. That is progress, too.

Sobriety and recovery take time; be patient and kind with yourself.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job Plure. It makes me feel more normal to see that I am not the only one who goes through such anxiety!!!

Have you done much reading on PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome)? There are some great articles here and on other sites that helped me to understand what Dee will often say: We didn't get this way overnight, and it will take some time to feel better.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alwyshope12 View Post
Great job Plure. It makes me feel more normal to see that I am not the only one who goes through such anxiety!!! Have you done much reading on PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome)? There are some great articles here and on other sites that helped me to understand what Dee will often say: We didn't get this way overnight, and it will take some time to feel better.
Thanks Alwyshope12 and you're right that knowing others are working through the same thing is a huge emotional help. I have done some research into PAWS and it seems it definitely has a hold on me...being patient and kind to yourself is key they say and I'm trying! I'm so thankful to have the support here in SR.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Plure