Notices

Super happy funtime last night!

Old 12-14-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Super happy funtime last night!

So, a group of about 8 or 10 of my co-workers finished work last night at around 8 o'clock. They all had 2 or 3 drinks at the bar we work at, then they all went out together. I had to stay behind to work until close (boo-hoo). Didn't think much of it, most everyone there has a drink or two after work.

I went home after my shift to catch a few zzzz's because I knew I had to be back there to open this morning. I managed to sleep for 4 hours or so before my alarm clock went off and I went back to work, tired but not hungover.

Here's where it gets fun.

Some of my co-workers that had gone out the night before began trickling in. Didn't take long for me to realize that something wasn't right - no hustle bustle and chitter chatter. They were all mopey and quiet. One even called in "sick".

Eventually one guy told me that he was probably still drunk and the hangover hadn't kicked in yet, but he thought it would be a doozy! (side note - later after work he tried to get me to have some beers with him)

A few hours into the shift another guy just looked at me pathetically and said he was "struggling". I said, "I know." He asked me, "How can you tell?" I told him "you're all sweaty and you haven't said more than 2 words to me since you got here." He didn't smile, he just groaned and said, "unhhh..."

Then on my way out the door after work another co-worker who'd gone out the night before told me she had been up until about 6 AM, napped for an hour before waking up dehydrated and couldn't get back to sleep. She's usually a cheery talkative type, but hadn't said "boo" all day. She looked MISERABLE!

It's not that I enjoyed seeing these people suffer, I just think that it was interesting to look at that situation from the outside and not being the one who's trying to "keep it together". And if I didn't have my own past with alcohol I might have thought the whole thing was funny.

Of course, it occurs to me that at another time any one of those poor, sorry, hungover individuals could have been me. And I'm glad it wasn't.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hallelujah for no more hangovers - your description was great sdh73. So nice to know that we never have to feel like that again.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Wonderful reminder! So glad you didn't partake last night!
It's funny, I got some drunken phone calls last night before I finally turned my phone off...followed by some 'what did I say' texts today. SO glad I got to wake up today with no regrets!
Yay for both of us!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great share! Seeing those things really causes feelings of thankfulness and gratefulness for sobriety, right?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely, Lance. I don't even want to think about all the times that I struggled to keep it together through work so I could "get a few of drinks in me" to kill the hangover. Then do it all again the next day. Ugh!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

It's nice to read this. Had a bad hangover on Saturday - It makes me hopeful reading about how much more pleasant life is without the booze
Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a new "day 1" just last thursday, Frixion. So, for me, seeing how I had felt just a couple of days ago embodied in others was illuminating. Especially considering that I had been feeling like that almost every day! Hopefully I can use this to strengthen my resolve.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Originally Posted by SDH73 View Post
I had a new "day 1" just last thursday, Frixion. So, for me, seeing how I had felt just a couple of days ago embodied in others was illuminating. Especially considering that I had been feeling like that almost every day! Hopefully I can use this to strengthen my resolve.
Thank you SDH73
Old 12-14-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Sounds like this put some things in perspective for you. Was their night out really worth the price? Couldn't be. They probably don't even remember whole chunks of it. Congrats on your healthy day, let this reinforce how good it feels to stay sober.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done SD