Notices

Changes in Interests and Hobbies after Quitting?

Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changes in Interests and Hobbies after Quitting?

Before I quit drinking, I spent my prime drinking hours mostly reading and watching television shows on Netflix. Since I quit, I have had a really hard time getting back into reading and haven’t watched anything except for one movie with my daughter (at her request) and a couple of documentaries, which I hardly ever used to watch. I was thinking at first that this was an attention span issue, but now I’m wondering if I’m sub-consciously avoiding or turned off by things I use to do while drinking.

I’m curious what others have experienced after quitting … regarding changes in interests and hobbies.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I definitely felt a bit turned off just sitting in front of the tv, because it reminded me of drinking. I did a lot of cleaning, and walking for the first few weeks.

I never would read, only online, but now I read a lot too. I think the first year of sobriety is healing, adjusting....just getting back to some kind of equilibrium, both physically and mentally. After all, we'd been poisoning our body and shutting it down every night - that's a lot to recover from.

Congratulations on getting sober.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sitting in front of the TV was fine for drunken me but yeah sober me wanted a little more - I think that's both normal and healthy jerri

D
Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I definitely felt a bit turned off just sitting in front of the tv, because it reminded me of drinking. I did a lot of cleaning, and walking for the first few weeks.

I never would read, only online, but now I read a lot too. I think the first year of sobriety is healing, adjusting....just getting back to some kind of equilibrium, both physically and mentally. After all, we'd been poisoning our body and shutting it down every night - that's a lot to recover from.

Congratulations on getting sober.
This ^^^^
Old 12-13-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am reading more now that I am sober, but that has always been a hobby of mine. Some hobbies I ignored for years are now interesting again.

The good news is I gave up my favorite hobby while drinking, online shopping. The Duck Dynasty Chia Pet is no longer a must have item.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jerri - I feel that as we get to know our sober self we may learn that we enjoy different things than we had. That discovery is a wonderful journey. Like learning about yourself as a young adult all over again. I am looking forward to getting to know who I am now without drinking. New and different interests. Re-centering myself is an important part of this. Extra time to do things instead of drinking.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will say that when 'drinking' the TV got lots of use. When I sobered up I had to learn how to do things without drinking. Meaning things I normally did, hobbies or not, because I always had a beer in my hand. It was an association thing with me. This is a hard analogy, but I liken it to a very old couple living together late in life. They do everything together - just to be together. Then one of them dies. The other one is lost. Has a hard time going through daily activities without 'mom' or 'dad' there.
That's how it was for me with beer and drinking. I was lost without it. But I assure you, after some time you will learn to get along without it. And start to do things and find a different motivation in life. It will get better.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Activities Im enjoying many yrs sober
down the road consists of learning to
ride a motorcycle and getting my
endorsement prior to hip replacement.

Today Im a Lady Rider riding passenger
behind my husband looking forward to
bike rallies to Daytona and Sturgis.

Lots of gardening and enjoying many
beautiful bloosems my plants give me
as gifts because I give them lots of
love, care and attention.

Feeding all my lovely feather friends
that fly in to visit and feed on their
feeders we keep filled for them to enjoy.

Nature is the gift that keeps on giving
day after day for us to appreciate, admire,
and enjoy when living a healthy, happy,
honest life in recovery.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

aasharon, I was a passenger for years and then at nearly 53 I took the class, my husband took it with me, and I have been riding ever since. Do it - you will love it - it's a life changer.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Hobbies, sleep and appetite changed for me, then changed again. Improvement. That is what I've noticed, but first we must give time time. We need time to heal and to heal well. Ride the changes and improve your life!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BBQBiker......My husband took the course
too with me. He already had his endorsement
and bike. I was 50 when I wanted to learn
how to ride and get my own endorsement,
so we went together.

When I began the test, I was in a lot
of pain with my leg and didn't know why.
I couldn't finish the tail end of the riding
course that I had begun because of the
excruciating pain.

Come to find out I needed hip replacement
from an injury yrs ago. Once I healed, I
went back for my endorsement on a scooter
bike. To be safe after surgery.

I thought I would enjoy riding by myself
but I guess I wasn't. I wanted to be a bad
azz Lady Rider. Well not bass azz, just a
lady riding her own bike. lol

Anyway, it was an accomplishment I
will always treasure and love riding
behind my husband together as one.

Keeping the rubber side down and
the shiney side up always.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I watch about 98% less TV now than I did as a drinker. It seems that's quite a common pattern on here! Since I stopped, I've taken up yoga, gone for interesting walks, I swim a lot more, and I've added quite a few recipes to my cooking and baking repertoire. I'm reading more, and when I watch a film now it tends to be something good and thought-provoking that I've deliberately picked, rather than a piece of chewing gum for the eyes that I can zone out to with wine. I'm very into healthy eating as well. The most important change in my behaviour is that I have fun now - I look forward to things, and I like being spontaneous, and I'm not often bored these days - whereas boredom used to define my drinking days
Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found, unfortunately, that I was still tuning out in early sobriety, watching hours and hours of mindless TV, still wasting time in huge amounts and still lonely. Not sure if I was just trying to cope with not drinking, which was my focus for so long, or if I forgot how to do anything at all sober. Gradually, I did start to change my routine, taking great joy in being able to drive anywhere at anytime or talk on the phone late at night without worrying about committing to something I really didn't want to do, or worse, forgetting the conversation completely.

I'm still in a pretty odd place, but I have learned to knit, took a firearms safety class (always wanted to do that) am teaching cooking lessons again and I try to meet up with friends for a movie a few times a month. My house is cleaner than it has been in years, my affairs are in order. Yoga is on my list for 2015!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

aasharon - I am just a lady rider too. Although, like you, I wanted to be bad ass I am not.
The similarities are interesting - I took the class needing cataract surgery so no left vision. I had the surgery after getting my endorsement. We have fun and that is what it is all about.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another lady rider here! I learned a couple years ago at 47 years of age.
I don't think I'm bad azz, but hubby does....LOL.

Was talking with a guy recently who used to ride a lot, but all his buddies just wanted to ride a little and stop at bars a lot. He wanted to RIDE. We told him to look us up. Riding and drinking should not mix anyway!

To OP:
This is a great opportunity to learn new things! It's a big world out there!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I still have the same interests, and I am able to do more now. I did become a dog mom - I guess that would be the one big change after getting sober.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

BBQBiker......talk about similarities.....

I had some lasar surgery to my right
eye to cauterize a leeking blood vessel
leaving me with just peripheral vision
in that eye.

Today I have to take care of my left eye,
because If I loose that one then I wont
be able to drive safely.

I wear my glasses and goggles on top
of them and if I wear my full face helmet,
I have that extra shield to protect my face
and eyes.

YINZER.....

My husband and I just like to ride too and
when I met him 7 yrs ago, I told him
that all I wanted to do was ride. So since
we married 5 yrs ago, we have ridden to
the Grand Canyon staying a few days on
one of the rims overlooking the Canyon.

Then we have been to Sturgis twice and
looking forward to next yrs. 75th Rally in
August. We have also been to Daytona
twice and ready to ride again in March
next yr for their Rally. We absolutely luv
staying in a hotel on the beach side so
we can sit out on the deck over looking
the Ocean and beach.

We just want to ride in recovery...!!!!!

It's a new awesome experience I am
grateful to share with SR and all new
bikers in recovery.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the thoughtful comments.

Yes, TV seems to be common theme. I can live without the TV\Netflix\games now …. Not missing it one bit. But cooking and reading are two activities I need to “Reclaim”.

I really did like to cook. With wine. And sometimes I would put it into the food. But it's not the same now. Maybe I should try a cooking class? I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

I’m trying to read different things. Currently, I’m slowly working my way thru a short story anthology. Emphasis on the slow. And I guess maybe I’ll dust off my library card; now that I’m not drunk, I can drive up there whenever I want.

I do get out and walk whenever the weather is at all cooperative (I walked this morning in fact). And I’m looking for a Yoga instructor nearby. I’ve seen a number of folks post about doing yoga, and that’s something I’ve always wanted to try.

Seriously, with the money I’m NOT spending on alcohol, trashy romance novels and downloading movies, games etc, I can now afford to take a yoga class or a cooking class or even buy a scooter. Not so sure about that last part. But hat-tip to the Ladies Who Ride!!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm a musician. Guitar was my instrument during my drinking days. When I got sober I somehow connected darkness with playing the guitar, and while I still did play once in a while, it usually left me feeling crappy.

I got involved in AA and started doing things I NEVER even considered while drinking. Going to diners with people, camping trips, bowling... Going to meetings actually took up most of my free time in the beginning and became a hobby in itself .

In aftercare it was suggested that I have a go at college. Shortly after my 1 year anniversary I signed up for a Psych class. That went well, and I enrolled full time. Since I still wanted to play guitar, and had issues being somewhat socially ********, I thought an acting class might help me with those things. Took an acting class, wound up auditioning for a show, got a part, then a got a lead in another show... and I was off to the races with acting. Loved it, joined the drama club, became vice president, wrote, produced and directed a few shows. Did a lot of acting - something I had never previously even considered.

When I graduated college I was asked to join a band playing bass guitar (as opposed to 6 string). I figured what the heck and had a go at it. About 10 years after that I got to do some awesome tours throughout the world with a somewhat well known artist. Something I HAD given lots of thought to and fantasized about as a kid, but never dreamed would happen.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that I was open minded, and willing... and I trusted the universe to lead me where it would. I wasn't comfortable playing guitar any longer, so I opened the door to new things and didn't look back. I don't miss any of the things that used to entertain me during my drinking days. Hmm... maybe once in a blue moon the lack of a conscience , but I'm much happier overall with a clean conscience. The new things that were presented to me out shined the old by far. Pretty sure none of them would have happened if I glued myself to my couch in front of the TV, or in front of a computer monitor. My life is much MUCH more full and entertaining when I'm away from this thing. With that, I shall move forward with my day.

Just a final note on this - when I think back to this stuff I get really grateful for the social (or fellowship) aspect of AA. Without that I don't have a clue how I'd have broken out of my shell. Big part of why I drank was because I wasn't comfortable around people. The people in AA nurtured me out of that.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Joe,

Thank you! What an inspiring story.

I play the guitar too (or I used to). My Dad did as well, and unfortunately, I've got some baggage around that (Dad and the guitar). He passed away a couple of years ago (which was around the time the drinking really kicked into high gear). He left me several guitars which I never play. So that's something I've been thinking and writing about lot lately. This past month, I’ve kind of come around to the idea that it's OK for me to NOT play the guitar. That it’s OK to sell the guitars if I want too, although I may keep one or two.

So, I’ll try out other things and see where the universe leads me. If I come back around to the guitar, so be it. But if not that’s OK too.