Notices

11 days sober - crazy insomnia

Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days sober - crazy insomnia

I can't sleep. My CNS was so used to the alcohol as a depressant for sleep. I relied on alcohol as my "sleeping crutch". Now, my sleep is fragmented at best. I can't just fall asleep either. My mind isn't racing, nor am I tense in any way. At some point I do catch snatches of sleep during the night, because I am having dreams. What was you experience with insomnia and when does sleep "normalize". Not asking for medical advice, just experiences and perhaps helpful hints.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia stinks. Unfortunately I have yet to find a non medication treatment. I have been on and off sleeping meds for years. .. nothing otc ever worked for me though. Have you tried anything to help? Sleepytime tea? Melatonin?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sarah,
Give Valerian Root a try. You can get it at the local drug store. Take it 2 hours before bed. It works for me when coming off a binge. Wishing you sleep.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've tried sleepytime with no success. I caved in and took a .50 ativan last night and it barely did anything. Now I'm up wired and tired.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my Hubby has that problem big time... me I lay down get warm and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... have found that if I can get him out to walk around for 30 minutes before bed time hubby does sleep better.. its worth the try... prayers ardy
Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's perfectly normal in early recovery to have sleeping issues.

Drunk sleep is not real sleep btw. Dreaming is surprised, and that is really bad for just about everything.

Give it time, Rome wasn't built in a few days.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
It's perfectly normal in early recovery to have sleeping issues.

Drunk sleep is not real sleep btw. Dreaming is surprised, and that is really bad for just about everything.

Give it time, Rome wasn't built in a few days.
Stupid autocorrect, Suppressed, not surprised! LOL!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me only 2 days of sketchy sleep. I've seen other posts of longer periods. Very common WD side effect. I used melatonin before quitting when I really had insomnia and it only helped getting to sleep--still up in 2 hrs. Some here suggest Sleepy Time tea. You taking any supplements? I think force-feeding max doses of vits and mins depleted by alcohol in the beginning helped me. I also tapered. The more one drank consistently generally determines severity of WD's. Good news is all report normal sleep eventually.