Notices

Being an alcoholic

Old 12-04-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

wow, I didn't see your post until now defcon1 - I must have been typing when you posted. But it explains exactly the same thing as I experienced. Yeah, scary.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Blackouts are what scare me the most and the complete out of control behaviors. There would be many mornings where I would wake up wondering what happened the night before, and sometimes questioning if it was just a bad dream. What ultimately impacted me the most were my children seeing me this way and i could not even remember. My heart aches at this past behavior and I know I cannot drink anymore. I think some may say to me... "You're not an alcoholic, or as bad as others" however I am an alcoholic and I was tired of alcohol taking over my life. Congrats on your sobriety Lance... Despite what others say, including your own AV.... Alcoholism is alcoholism.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
As we go forward, whether one month or ten months and I'm sure longer, we discover things from our past that continue to reinforce that fact that alcohol adversely altered our lives. These are more nails in the coffin of burying alcohol from my life. Those , aha moments. I only wish I would have recognized it years ago. All I can do now is improve my life and be happy I have that chance.
^ The good side of this is well, this! ^
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Nice Thread, great topic......
The posts here are confirmation to me of the power of globalization in recovery. There is incredible ESH from so many different people - geographically divided. Really amazing.

When it was pointed out to me that whole conversations I had at night disappeared from my memory in the morning, I came to realize how deep seeded the issue was. I had no idea.......couldn't remember what I couldn't remember!

After around 60 days sober I made the statement - At least I never blacked out. Turns out to be BS......Frankly, as time passes there are huge gaps......

But, yes - the HOPE is we recognized our issue - allergy is how I think of it as well, and move forward.

Again, great thread!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I needed this conversation. I felt some resistance when I read some of the posts, and when I thought about it I realized that there is a part of me that needs there to be "stages" to alcoholism because as long as I'm not at the "end stage" then I have the illusion of control that I can manage my situation. And I suspect managing my situation means will-power based sobriety which will be bound to fail, probably before long.

My sponsor has been moving me through the AA steps at 1 per week, but last night the resistance I felt to some of the posts made me pull out the AA Big Book and go back to Step 1 because I realize I need to spend some time doing some deeper work on admitting my powerlessness over alcohol and how my life is unmanageable because of it. I have to move away from thinking about this in terms of stages and realize that I'm already "terminal" and always will be. Aaaaaargh - this is hard!
Old 12-04-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Lance,

The 12x12 helps me a lot........not to distract from the Big Book, but I find the essay's enlightening and adding to the steps!
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step1.pdf

peace man
FlyN
Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Lance,

The 12x12 helps me a lot........not to distract from the Big Book, but I find the essay's enlightening and adding to the steps!
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_step1.pdf

peace man
FlyN
Yea - I actually meant to say 12x12. That's where I spend most of my time when I really want to drill down into something.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

a part of me that needs there to be "stages" to alcoholism because as long as I'm not at the "end stage" then I have the illusion of control that I can manage my situation

Lance,
yes, i was in that place exactly. it's great you see that!
i didn't, and stayed drinking , stuck there, for a gazillion years with a gazillion attempts to get out which kept failing.
great that you're aware of your initial resistance to some things that were said and found a remedy.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I knew I'd been having blackouts for awhile. I thought they were normal after a night of heavy drinking. I didn't know that they were a sign of alcoholism though.