Notices

Think like an athlete

Old 12-01-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think like an athlete

Some of my friends in recovery call it the triathlon: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve. These holidays can be big challenges in recovery.

I am enjoying my holidays a lot more now, but in early recovery, I didn't have an easy time of it.

Contrary to making me happy, the holidays can often make me sad. I think most alcoholics, recovered or active can relate to that.

I can find myself unexpectedly trying to swim in a toxic pool of unrealistic expectations, bitter memories and...that favorite, resentment.
It has helped enormously to learn to identify my feelings. When the resentments pop up, I am learning to defuse them and see how flawed my thinking really is if I see resentment as a valid emotion.

And, I have gotten the same good advice, time and time again, for navigating these days that can set off so many triggers: plan, plan and then plan again!
I know that the marathon isn't quite over. Christmas I'll have a guest that I am not exactly thrilled to have. New Years I am sure my husband will drink too much. Come to think of it, he'll drink too much on Christmas Eve.
But, I have my virtual training shoes on and am aware that there are a few more laps to go. The track might get real muddy Christmas eve, but I am ready for it. It is SO worth it to wake up Christmas morning and enjoy those moments sober and emotionally stable.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Some of my friends in recovery call it the triathlon: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve. These holidays can be big challenges in recovery.
Littlefish...thank you for posting the sports analogy! This helps me reframe the entire experience in a way that simplifies and streamlines. Prepares for success! Just fabulous. I am imagining success and can see and feel it already. Thank you.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, thank you Littlefish, that analogy really resonates with me too.

I love the idea of taking part in a virtual triathlon. I don't have Thanksgiving to train for, but I'm definitely in training for Christmas and New Years.

This will be the healthiest Christmas ever. And what a great start to the new year - already achieved my new years resolution of sobriety. I'm looking forward to this already.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great thoughts, Littlefish! I so agree that waking up sober on Christmas Day and New Years Eve day with a clear head and a clear spirit is well worth it! It helps me to keep in my mind that I'm not alone on these days and there are many many brave SR folks who are here to support me and who are doing the holidays sober We are quite a team aren't we?!