Notices

Non-newbie community?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Non-newbie community?

As I progess with working on my sobriety, I feel that posting in the Newcomers community isn't the place to post.

I feel that it may be taking away from newcomers.

I've checked the Alcoholism community and it appears to be the best place to post. It's no where near as active as the Newcomers community.

Any advice? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm curious - what do you think you might be taking away from newcomers? As a newcomer to sobriety the voices of longer term sobriety both here and in AA really give me hope and something to hold onto. When I was just using SR I got the idea that sobriety was about a lot of Day 1, Day 10, Day 30 and relapse type stuff. When I went to my first AA meeting I was blown away by all the people with 10 to 40 years of sobriety, and it gave me a whole new hope and inspiration about this being something that can really be done in the long-term. I suspect we have quite a few of those here on SR as well, although with this format it's maybe not so easy to always know who they are.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You've started 18 threads and have 65 posts.

Your last "quit date" appears to be 11/15/14.

I'd say you are welcome wherever you would like to post Posting encouraging words in other peoples' threads is always a good thing - for you and for them.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I will always continue to post in Newcomers.

Of course, you can post anywhere on the boards you like.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I will always continue to post in Newcomers.

Of course, you can post anywhere on the boards you like.
Anna - you're one of the reasons I come here, and I'm so grateful for your contribution.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ThatHombre - Some regular posters here in the Newcomers section have thousands of postings. They share their wit and wisdom with the "real" newcomers, like me! I appreciate them very much...as well as the the newbies
Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Thanks everyone. Guess I'm over thinking it.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

After six years of sobriety, I wouldn't be inclined to post my questions or problems or issues in the Newcomers forum, but I do post here to share my ESH. You don't have to have a ton of time to be helpful to the newcomer. For someone brand new, a week or a month is an incredible victory, and they want to know how YOU did it--the guy with two weeks or a month or whatever. (Frankly, I think a lot of newcomers think those of us with years of sobriety must be scamming them, lol.)

So maybe you want to consider sharing your experience and providing helpful suggestions on the Newcomers forum, while deepening your growth in sobriety on the Alcoholism forum.

As Anna said, you can post anywhere you want.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

What about the Class of November forum?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

I appreciate and value posts from everyone.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I spend most of my time between newcomers and alcoholism. I feel that you can learn something new in Newcomers no matter how much sobriety you have. And conversely, newcomers need those with some sober experience present for the forum to work. Just like AA meetings have those picking up their first chip as well as "old timers" attending the same meetings....all are welcome here.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hombre you can post in your sobriety class for chats with ppl who got sober around the same time as you http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-10.html

But i agree with whats been said Newcomers need help
Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've got a few years in recovery and SR people are a big part of my recovery. When I came here, I read all the forums and found I "fit" in quite a few. I had no clue that you could hit "new posts" and read the newest posts for quite a while

I still have many forums that I'm active in, but TBH, I click on new posts and if I see a post that I may have ES&H on? I go there. I often end up on Newcomers, and I'm coming up on 8 years in recovery.

To me, it's important to do whatever I can to stay in recovery, and giving back is a big part of that.

I think if you read around, you will also find places that just "fit". I found out it wasn't so important the substances that are abused, we all have a lot in common.

The great thing about SR is there ARE so many places to post!!

Congratulations on your recovery and thanks for posting what I'm sure a lot of people wonder about. Other than the men's and women's forums, which are gender specific, you're free to post anywhere you want.

Warning - you may find yourself spending more time on SR

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

new comers help me to always remember where i have come from, in aa i get the full experience of visual as well as hearing them and being able to feel there pain etc so for me it more powerful but reading the posts on here also stirs up memory's for me and helps me so although its been a good few years sober for me and i dont count days anymore but i can remember myself just how exicted i used to get at getting to be a week sober then a month then a whole year

so new comers are so important for me and if i can pass on any bits of help by sharing my own experience etc then thats a good thing.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

According to Baseball Library, com: For hitters, a player will be considered a rookie if he had less than 130 at-bats in any previous season. For pitchers, if they haven't pitched more than 50 innings in a previous season, they are considered rookies. Also, if any player spent more than 45 days on a team's active roster, they cannot be considered a rookie.
Okay that's major league baseball - they have real rules governing what is considered a rookie - or newcomer.

I don't know what the rules are for sobriety. I don't have a year yet. So I consider myself a newcomer, based on some people with 30 years or more.
If I put together a string a month/relapse for a month/month/relapse for a month... At what point do I no longer consider myself a newcomer? I can get my 130 bats even if it takes 5 years. I can get a year of sobriety even if I stretch it out over 5 years. Then I'm no longer a rookie. Do I say I have a year even though I drank for a month? In the drinking world some say "Day 1 AGAIN!" Do they reclaim their rookie status once they relapse? Are they again newcomers? Who knows and who cares. Maybe they should change the title of this forum to "Those new to sobriety AND those who can't seem to stay sober forever." Why even have a title at all? I guess cause it's a good place to start.
It helps new folks starting out, and it helps direct those with experience to the newcomers. Why don't we have "Those who failed after a year," ...2 Years," etc forums? There is the alcoholism forum. That pretty much covers everyone else I suppose. Even newcomers post there.

I guess all I want to really say is that if someone continues to relapse/drink, are they really progressing in working on their sobriety?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by ThatHombre View Post
I feel that it may be taking away from newcomers.
You are not. Your posts help the newcomer and they also help you. Even if you are a lurker and it is your first post, you are still helping the newcomer. There are no wasted posts on this forum no matter where you are in recovery.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've got a few years in. Some meetings I'm the one with the least amount of sobriety.
Some meetings, I'm an old timer.

Not sure if they are referring to my age or length of sobriety though
Old 11-30-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post where ever you want.
Your posts aren't 'taking away from newcomers' - no one member is that powerful a voice

D