Notices

the" I made it through Thanksging sober" post!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kero View Post
I made it! In spite of my in-laws best efforts I am still sober. My only binge was dessert pie! I'm only sober 8 days, but damn if I am not proud of myself for making it through the past 36 hours. Like I said, my in-laws did their best to drive me back to the bottle. We had 4 dogs in the house and one relative decided it would be "funny" to ring the doorbell and cause a massive stampede (my dog is a greyhound, and a sprinting grey can seriously hurt someone, she's taken my knee out on more than one occasion and put me on the ground). Another close relative who I thought was at least a little supportive also decided not to speak a word to me in my own house. That was cool. Oh well, he has his issue and I have mine to deal with. I also finally broke the sober-insomnia string. I slept like a log. Feeling great today. Already been out and shoveled snow and walked the dog.
Ugh! In-laws suck sometimes! :-(
Old 11-28-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great job to everyone who made it through Thanksgiving sober! I too made it without drinking. It was my biggest challenge since I became sober. I was offered wine a few times but they got the hint after I kept saying no thanks. It was interesting to see everyone getting drunk, especially when they started talking about politics. I feel stronger today and as committed to my sobriety than I ever have been.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was sober for Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate, do I still get a point? :=] Seriously, well done to everyone who made it through! I know it's an incredibly tough time. Good job :=]
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Guess I'm a chicken. I turned down the invites. We had quiet meal at home, board games and saw a movie. To much pressure for me.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Awesome job! I also made it without drinking.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Guess I'm a chicken. I turned down the invites. We had quiet meal at home, board games and saw a movie. To much pressure for me.
I think I'm definitely going to do the same thing at Christmas. We do what we're able to do, yeah? :=]
Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Nothing at all wrong with that. You have to do whatever is best for yourself.

Had I had the option, I would have passed as well.

Funny, yesterday I had a bit of a revelation. Recovering alcoholics here are a lot more positive than "regular" people. At least with my family they all seemed to be miserable for one reason or another. I came here for some positive energy!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I too made it through sober. Had a few cravings before I left for my Aunt's house. I asked God's help, and brushed my teeth. Cravings subsided. But, I really thought I would have trouble enjoying the holiday. Before I left my home I said a prayer asking for the power to think of others and not myself. I had a great time. Amount of alcohol consumed at my family gathering - one beer. Somehow I think normies don't count the alcohol consumed at a family gathering.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had a major attack of back spasms and was given some serious meds for relief, so I wouldn't have been able to drink anyways. Oddly, one of the meds is also a treatment for alcoholism, according to the info sheet.

The best thing was not being worried to go to urgent care and being asked if I drink, or that my blood pressure would be high. And if I were still drinking, I'd have been pretty miserable having to abstain over this.

So - made it through, ever grateful for my sobriety. It's only a couple months, but it feels pretty damn rock solid. My back, not so much.

I have a lot of love and respect for everyone here on SR and grateful to all - you are all my main support for this journey.

Earlyriser
Old 11-28-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done to everyone who made it through
Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I too was observing the social drinkers vs. the hard drinkers and it occurred to me that among us alcoholics, there seems to be a mystique/draw about being a "social drinker" that is somewhat unusual. I mean, what is so great about having 1-2 drinks and not feeling any of the "real" effects of the alcohol? Doesn't seem that exciting. I think for me at least, the only reason that I want to be able to drink "socially" is actually because I'm an alcoholic. In other words, if I didn't have this affliction, having 1-2 drinks without even feeling the effects, wouldn't even appeal to me...
Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to all you guys

D