Notices

Problem with outpatient clinic

Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Problem with outpatient clinic

Hi there,
So I checked myself into the outpatient treatment clinic this morning, filled out some paper work and they have scheduled me for a meeting in 2 weeks. I feel like that's a little far away and creates a gap to relapse. To add to that, I am starting school soon and the field I will be working in is mental health and addictions (ironic), and also the company that runs the outpatient clinic is run by my work as well, I will likely be working there one day (if i stay sober). So I have gone through EAP through my work and am getting an addictions counselor to meet with weekly, and I have been thinking about AA but I am not sure yet.. Sorry about the rant I just feel a little frantic and lost
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I think sitting in both chairs at the same time might be to early.
For now, concentrate on your own recovery so that someday you may help others.

As for the delay of 2 weeks, I had the same with an outpatient program. the ultimate decision to remain sober or not, only depends on you. The outpatient is to help you build coping mechanisms.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I know it is very important to help myself before I help others
Old 11-21-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharmabum2012 View Post
Thanks, I know it is very important to help myself before I help others
Hi, I would say not necessarily, depends how you do it. You can help yourself and help others in parallel, in areas you feel confident about. For example, this is how SR works, doesn't it? You can practice "helping others" here everyday and see how that helps you. For me in my recovery, it's been definitely the top one thing that has been contributing to my recovery and healing. My own therapy only comes as second best and I know it works so well because it's quite interactive and not so one-sided. I tried to do all kinds of things, but the one I personally benefit the most is interacting with others about their problems while sharing some of my experiences. I get far more from this than talking about my problems in a more self-centered way, being the primary focus of attention. And like you, I am also exploring ways to do more of this professionally also, especially that I've been in the mental health field for a while now but on the research side of it mostly, and I have opportunities for working with people through my current job, in fact a host of new opportunities just opened because my department is expanding the treatment and outreach side, I've already been involved a little.

So yeah, you can start here on SR, I guess in AA if you like, and it's quite likely to support your own recovery while you are waiting for your treatment and beyond. Start simple
Old 11-21-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many many addictions counselors suffer with addiction themselves. I would not be ashamed that you may one day work there, if you go through the work to overcome addiction yourself that is seen as an asset.

XXX, good luck!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Many many addictions counselors suffer with addiction themselves. I would not be ashamed that you may one day work there, if you go through the work to overcome addiction yourself that is seen as an asset.

XXX, good luck!
Thanks that is very inspiring
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I can understand that two weeks does seem like a long time to wait. To fill that time ,you could try an AA meeting, it would be some immediate f to f support for you.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you make it through the two weeks sober.

I think being a recovering addict could be helpful in your career. Stay focused!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd get all the support you can get in the meantime. Try some AA meetings. Great face to face support there.