Notices

Having a tough day here, posting instead of drinking

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cake is in the oven! If I had stopped fpr a drink I'd still ne floundering around the house doing nothing but feeling busy. 20 mintues til the kids go to bed then I'll attend the online meeting. I will be happy to not be hungover for my son's birthday tomorrow morning, that is for sure.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help yesterday everyone! Just wanted to say I woke up nice and early this morning- no hangover and ready for a cheerful morning with my birthday boy. We managed to get out of the house 30 minutes early so that we could stop by the coffee bar to have a special pastry and juice for his birthday breakfast. It never would have happened had I drank yesterday. Seeing the joy in his face when I suggested we go out for a surprise breakfast was absolutely worth suffering through the cravings.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Thanks for your help yesterday everyone! Just wanted to say I woke up nice and early this morning- no hangover and ready for a cheerful morning with my birthday boy. We managed to get out of the house 30 minutes early so that we could stop by the coffee bar to have a special pastry and juice for his birthday breakfast. It never would have happened had I drank yesterday. Seeing the joy in his face when I suggested we go out for a surprise breakfast was absolutely worth suffering through the cravings.
Awesome. Mera, I also live in an incredibly bureaucratic country where even the most simple things can leave you frustrated and pulling your hair out. Sometimes the apparent lock of logic is just bewildering.

To cope with this over the past decade that I have lived here I have had to learn how to shrug it off and not let it get to me. How to focus on the things that really matter and the rest can happen when it happens.

You seem such a conscientious mother that your priority is almost certainly your kids. The rest....well......hey, its Italy. You have the food, sometimes the weather, the history....what a little bureaucracy?

I did a terrible job at staying sober unlike you, but thats about to change.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through that Mera.
I really believe we're all far more strong and capable than we know

For years I beat myself up for not being perfect...which led to more drinking...

I've (finally) learned that my best really is is good enough - I leave perfection to others now.

D
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Living in a foreign country can be quite frustrating at times!

I sometimes have similar struggles to you. All I can do when things don't to go to plan (or don't get done how it is done in my home country), is just try to stay calm and maybe even find some humour in the situation.

Things will get done, and your stress will dissipate...but only if you don't give in to that AV.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, I have GOT to learn to let it go. I just get so out of my mind frustrated by how long everything takes. I'm already hanging on by a string to get everything done in a day- kids, work, cooking, cleaning. When I have to deal with this stuff that takes hours and hour and hours- sometimes days, it just sets me over the edge. This morning I went to apply for my kids Italian ********* and of course there are a million things I have to do, 3 different places I have to go to pay separate fees… I got their US ********* in one stop at the embassy, paid everything there, relatively easy.
As I was making a final stop I thought "I am going to go home and have some wine" but fortunately I immediately stopped that thought and knew that drinking would only make everything take longer and be more complicated.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, I have GOT to learn to let it go. I just get so out of my mind frustrated by how long everything takes. I'm already hanging on by a string to get everything done in a day- kids, work, cooking, cleaning. When I have to deal with this stuff that takes hours and hour and hours- sometimes days, it just sets me over the edge. This morning I went to apply for my kids Italian ********* and of course there are a million things I have to do, 3 different places I have to go to pay separate fees… I got their US ********* in one stop at the embassy, paid everything there, relatively easy.
As I was making a final stop I thought "I am going to go home and have some wine" but fortunately I immediately stopped that thought and knew that drinking would only make everything take longer and be more complicated.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

For years I beat myself up for not being perfect...which led to more drinking...

I've (finally) learned that my best really is is good enough - I leave perfection to others now.
Love this Dee, I need to remember that. "my best really is good enough" I too get so caught up in being perfect. Like yesterday, I was just sick over the thought that I had made errors when speaking Italian on camera. Sick. But my Italian is not bad, and it is the best I can do without more lessons- which I don't have time for!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
It is so weird how p a s s p o r t is starred out as a bad word!
Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Got the word a s s in it
Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi.
Try to keep up the good work. Life is life if we drink or not.
At AA meetings the following are banners that often hang on the wall and when I’m troubled and step back certain ones fit the situation and work IF I put them in my thinking process.
It works if we work it.

Easy Does It
First Things First
Live and Let Live
Let go and let God
Time takes time
One day at a time
Live life on life's terms
You can't think your way into a new way of living...you have to live your way into a new way of thinking
Cultivate an attitude of gratitude

BE WELL