Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

would more support help TopEndChick?

D
Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I miss being told I'm a "star". I got that sometimes when I lived in Sydney and it just always made me beam! So, thanks! (I need to make that word HAPPEN in Canada-land).

My journey before my sobriety date was off and on attempts for about eight months. Before that, I didn't even think of seriously quitting; it had become intrinsically part of who I was. I used to binge about two to three times a week and the after effects became increasingly brutal with age. My anxiety and depression was worsening. I had to make a change and keep trying. Finally, one day, it stuck. How did I do this? (I still find it quite amazing).

I took it day by day/sometimes hour by hour. I had to break up routines: drive other routes, stop going to pubs, avoid certain people and situations. I exercised during my "drinking time" -- just even a light walk would help ease the craving, then shower, then bed with the laptop in tow!. Even now, I'm in bed early and love it (even if I'm not sleeping but on here! haha). I came on here multiple times a day. Having the support of this community has been vital to my recovery (AA was definitely not for me).

I hope you keep trying. My life is be no means perfect but it certainly became loads better after I stopped. I just passed my two year sober date and each alcohol-free day since November 19, 2012 has been a gift.

You CAN do this.

P.S. You're not really alone on this journey with this site. Lean on us.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Never give up! (((Hug)))
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
If you have nothing else to, go into the " have you seen this" thread that serenidad made, lots of good stuff to watch!
One day at a time
Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks beautiful people.

Just off the phone from my sober besty, she has a PhD in music therapy and is employed as a music therapist currently. She is also completing her degree in psychology (her 6th degree, eternal student type)

She advises me to ask my GP about a mental health plan that is made available to people suffering anxiety/depression issues etc within Australia. If approved you get a certain number of free sessions with a psych. She is going to do some research on this for me and help me navigate the system. What a blessing she is. We are very lucky here in Australia with our health and welfare systems. Going to get as much help as I can.

Thank you all again. Catch up with you all around the forum.