Notices

Favorite AV pick up lines

Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"You're going to relapse eventually. What does it matter if it's now or later?"

"How am I ever going to have fun again if I can't drink?"

"You're feeling so good. You know what would make you feel even better? Some alcohol." (Never mind the fact that the only reason I am feeling so good is because I am sober.)

"Maybe you're not a real alcoholic."

"How am I ever going to celebrate the good times if I can't drink? New Years Eve without a glass of champagne? No toast at my wedding?"

"AA is a cult. The only reason you feel better is because you've been drinking the koolaid. You need to save yourself and get out of this cult group right now."

"It's really cold outside; I sure would love to warm up with a drink."

(And in the summer.) "It's so beautiful outside. It's not fair that I can't sit on a patio and have a glass of wine."

"No one would know."

"Maybe this time would be different."

"At least you're not as bad as (insert name of person in my life with a drinking problem). If they're not getting help, why should you bother?"

That very last one is an absolute favorite of mine that I used as an excuse for a long, long time. Towards the end, I had surrounded myself with a lot of heavy drinkers. I think my reasons for doing this were twofold: a.) we had the alcohol in common and b.) As long as I was around someone who drank more than I did, I could always convince myself I didn't have a problem.

I had one "friend" who had been to jail for drinking and had a breathalyzer in her car. She would constantly complain about how unfair it was. "I can't even go get a Redbox because of this stupid thing!" (No, you can't go get a Redbox because you're drunk; If you were sober you could drive yourself anywhere.)

Anyway, I secretly hated this girl, but she was like a constant security blanket for me. I could always look at her behavior and label it as being more despicable than mine. I felt very judgmental and holier than thou. She would get her kids to blow in the breathlyzer so she could drive to the bar. I really relished that I was not as bad as that, and figured that I was somehow okay because I hadn't sunk that low.

It's sick.