growth - silly epiphany

Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We love you too grow.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
learning to live

<3 Hev - you were the first person that I reached out to via message!! Look how far we have come xoxoox we got a loooonnnnngggg way to go too!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

79 Days is fantastic Growpath!!

A solid analysis of things, for me not touching alcohol was simply the beginning, for years my life had spiralled into oblivion, work, relationships, social life, my life simply became drinking alone on my sofa.

Taking away alcohol didn't create the life I wanted or could be proud of, it only created a lot of time on my sofa drinking green tea, the next step was to reach out and carve out the life I wanted on that foundation of Sobriety!!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Growpath i just want to let you know your Awesome
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
learning to live

Wolfy!!! You are the awesome one, friend!!!! Xoxox
Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
learning to live

Yes PK, I have a system I use each day. I track of course sober days (as that is the foundation).

But, I also make sure to get in 30 minutes spirituality, 30 minutes exercise, meeting once a week, church once a week, volunteer once a week, work schedule and leave it at the clock out point, a day each week I call certain family members, trying to get out and meet people, be kind, pray daily, read 15 minutes Bible daily, get on SR and check in at 24 thread daily etc etc etc and of course be open to try more.

Like I said above keep the effort going, keep a positive attitude, stay sober and always do the next right thing THEN things JUST start falling into place. It took me a month to figure that out but one I did I started seeing that putting down the drink was JUST the beginning. Now, I feel like I am healing instead of just fighting off the AV daily. He has been very quiet lately. THANK GOODNESS. and that is a direct reflection of the effort I am putting in!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post

Taking away alcohol didn't create the life I wanted or could be proud of, it only created a lot of time on my sofa drinking green tea, the next step was to reach out and carve out the life I wanted on that foundation of Sobriety!!
Good heavens you guys are smart! I needed to read through this thread again.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've always thought this alcoholism was really just a blessing in disguise. You've figured it out. Well done!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Good heavens you guys are smart! I needed to read through this thread again.
Alcohol for me was something I used everyday to numb away my life, the thoughts, the emotions, I no longer wanted to feel anything, I was afraid to fell, afraid to experience life how it's supposed to be lived.

I think everyone who comes to SR, eventually realises that alcohol is affecting their life, we all reached out because we knew somewhere inside that there was maybe more to life, something more than a bottle after work every night of the week.

For me experience is everything, I've been there and got the T-Shirt, what did alcohol do for me over all of those years? absolutely nothing, I spent a lot of money, did many embarrassing things and didn't further my life in any way.

Sobriety has been the key to the golden city, it has made happiness finally possible in my life, the foundation to the life I thought alcohol was going to provide, but in the end it was all a myth and a fairytale, alcohol was simply full of empty promises, and once I was able to see through them, the real magic of life began to happen!!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Wow, Growpath, you are really getting on with it, you 're awesome !

Many congrats on 79 days
Old 01-06-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

This is such an inspiring thread! Thank you all! I'm having good and bad days - 32 days sober. Well not really whole days, more like mini funks now and then that last a few hours. It's not that I'm struggling to not drink, it's more like, "what now?" I'm unemployed, have a DUI to deal with, other stresses in my family that are just crappy timing - it's a lot to deal with. But I go to treatment, I go to AA, I come here, and I know I can get through all of it - WITHOUT DRINKING. And that's awesome. Lots of work to be done, for sure - sobriety is the tip of the iceberg. But we can all do it, with help from each other!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Mld51 View Post
This is such an inspiring thread! Thank you all! I'm having good and bad days - 32 days sober. Well not really whole days, more like mini funks now and then that last a few hours. It's not that I'm struggling to not drink, it's more like, "what now?" I'm unemployed, have a DUI to deal with, other stresses in my family that are just crappy timing - it's a lot to deal with. But I go to treatment, I go to AA, I come here, and I know I can get through all of it - WITHOUT DRINKING. And that's awesome. Lots of work to be done, for sure - sobriety is the tip of the iceberg. But we can all do it, with help from each other!
Keep coming here and keep trying new things that make YOU happy, do the next best thing, and YES SR was HUGE for me in the first month on ideas and advice. Some days NOTHING would come then I would read one thread that my mind just took off with and it clicked. Itll click for you too. I will tell you at 32 days I had that same mindset as you. I can remember like day 50 I really started feeling better and realized a lot more. I just told a friend yesterday I cant imagine what another 80 days I will be like.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
learning to live

Oh and Mld.....my ONE rule in the beginning was "DONT DRINK"

Most days that was more than enough for me and all my mind could handle. Things will start falling into place. I just keep telling myself there's too many success stories around here to lose that hope. We can do this.

Thanks Janie
Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awesome post, so very true. Rebuilding our lives without alcohol requires us to completely rebuild the foundations and the more tools we have the greater our chances of success are!

Thank you growpath