Notices

NFL and Back!!

Old 11-11-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NFL and Back!!

Maybe this will help someone!!

So on Friday evening after work I headed to London Town, hyped up and ready to see some NFL, as I arrived at Belfast airport the old demons of pre flight drinking cropped up, but this isn’t the first airport I’ve been in since becoming Sober, I’m well versed In the tricks that alcohol would try to sell me, the romanticized notion of a beer on a Friday evening, I’m on a holiday after all, but no, I stuck to my guns, “a cranberry juice and ice thank you very much, and make it a large, because I have a book with me and it’s 2hrs until boarding”, the book you may ask? Plato’s The Republic, I’m getting very philosophical in my old age!!

That night upon reaching London was an early bedtime, the next day saw an early morning, the Dallas Cowboys were having an early practice at Wembley for fans to attend, usually this would have been a problem, probably too hung over from the previous night, but there I was, fresh as a daisy at 9am, sipping coffee and thinking to myself, how times have changed!!

Saturday night I had tickets to a comedy act, Paul Chowdry for any of you guys in Europe, it was pretty surreal, usually I’d be getting wasted, but as the act attracts a very dynamic cultural audience, I found myself surrounded by many muslim/hindu fans that didn’t drink, they were having water and fruit juice, I’m not one for promoting religion, but considering many within the world are either Muslim/Hindu what is there to fear being Sober?!!

Game-day!! and things started to get exciting, NFL flavor was in the air, fans were loading up on Budweiser, but still I found a certain calm being around the fans that had families, there were children everywhere, dads drinking coffee, driving home from the game afterwards, what an amazing feeling to wake up hangover free the next morning.

Don’t let anyone tell you a Sober life isn’t possible, we drink because we want to, we don’t look beyond our current reality and dare to dream what could be beyond!!

I returned home from London, still Sober, and happy that alcohol is not the centre of the social universe, there is more out there, but we all must test the waters, take a leap of faith and see where it takes us!!

I guarantee, Sobriety will add to your life, I don’t doubt it!!

PK
Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Brilliant PK i love Stand up myself

i know Paul Chowdry's work well hes too funny when hes taking the mic out of both his own race and others

the swearing that dont make sense always makes me laugh

PK theres another guy stateside im going to pm you youl cry laughing

Well done fella i worked on the wembly project and the arenas

Sobriety is so awesome NFL is getting big hype here now
Old 11-11-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wait, Irish people like the NFL?
Old 11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Wait, Irish people like the NFL?
Haha

You bet we do!!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! I learn something new every day. I thought NFL fans were all from 'Murica.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in the states. They are playing lots of nfl games in London this year. Planning more next year. Do you guys think a team would work over there? That's what the nfl wants. I hear people are getting into American football in the UK. Would be cool if London had a team but not sure the travel would be fair for the players.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is Hype i have seen it

im not a fan by any means but there is hype so you never know
Old 11-11-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post purpleknight, it's a great perspective on a new type of life...one that I'm beginning to get faint glimpses of. I like what I see. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

PK - what a great inspirational post!! Helps so many - well struck my man!!
Your words and ACTIONS are a testament to possibility and hope to all.

Your daily, posts are object lessons to tolerance and love of fellow mankind. I am pleased to consider you a sober friend.

And you won our SR football pool this week - Awesome!

Impressive reading list. I had to google this as I am not that smart - but thought it appropriate.

The beginning is the most important part of the work.
Plato, The Republic

Peace my friend,
Great sharing.....

FlyN
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Terrific, PurpleKnight, and so inspiring. If you stay on the Plato kick, read Timaeus--it is a mindblower
Old 11-12-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

if you like Plato's republic you might like Homer's Iliad
Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great Job Man! I'm glad you didn't drink and I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.....
My only concern is that you may be making the fatal mistake of becoming a Cowboys fan1!!! LOL

Go Broncos!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.S. As an avid NFL (Denver Broncos) fan, football is a HUGE trigger for me...
Usually means I have an "obligation" to go to the bar all day Sundays, and Monday and Thursday nights.... sigh..
I haven't started a thread about this yet but football season is my drunkest season of every year.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I enjoy the NFL as well. I don't think London will get a full time team, but I do think more games will be played there. Travel is too difficult to have a full time team.
Raider fan here, so having another tough season. Looking like 0-16 and or maybe if lucky 1-15. Still enjoying the fantasy football though, because it's all I got. Anyone else play fantasy?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

According to Monty Python, 'Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle!' and as for Socrates...

Funnily enough, I was reading about Plato's concept of 'form of the good', recently, amazing! Better than football to my mind but not as social unfortunately... need to widen my interests, me thinks
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure on a permanent team, the support for 3 games at Wembley is huge, always sold out, but even for myself I would only still make 1 game a season, so the idea of having a full season schedule to sell tickets for may not be viable, plus the travel for the US teams would be too much I think. I would prefer to have the few showcase games a season and look forward to it as a treat each year to be able to see some NFL!!

Soberwolf . . . The Iliad is also a great read, very intense and took me a while to get through it!!

Matilda . . . Haven't read Timaeus, but it's now on my list!!

Chilly . . . at the game as there were soo many Cowboys fans, I found myself cheering for the Jags, just to even things up, I got a few awkward looks, but came away the dedicated neutral that I arrived as!!

For me realising that I attend sport not to drink but to watch sport, whether it be soccer, American football or ice hockey, if I wanted to drink I'd go to a bar, but instead separating out the event from drinking has been key, many people attend sport, sometimes with their families, they sit and have coffee or soda, then drive home and get up for church on a Sunday morning or work on a Monday morning hangover free!!

I am now one of those people that can remember every play, every score, can discuss with people the next day the highlights of a game, remember the stats from each sporting event I attend.

It took me a while to get here, but Sober sport is the way forward on many levels!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Double post!! . . . hate when that happens!!