Notices

Just noticeable differences

Old 11-06-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

Just noticeable differences

jnds or just noticeable differences are the tiniest differences in level of a stimulus detectable to outside perception. It's a term from psychophysics which is an ultra-cool backwater of psychology.

I'm thinking about jnds because someone, a person in a position of authority who's watched me for a decade, told me today that I'd been to "charm school" over the last 2 years! What he was noticing (maybe without knowing it) were the traces of my recovery, which started almost exactly 2 years ago.

I wonder what specific changes he sees. I know now I sometimes smile, I talk to people, I look them in the eye, of course I don't stink of gin.

What are your just noticeable differences in sobriety?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I smile more.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
jnds or just noticeable differences are the tiniest differences in level of a stimulus detectable to outside perception. It's a term from psychophysics which is an ultra-cool backwater of psychology.

I'm thinking about jnds because someone, a person in a position of authority who's watched me for a decade, told me today that I'd been to "charm school" over the last 2 years! What he was noticing (maybe without knowing it) were the traces of my recovery, which started almost exactly 2 years ago.

I wonder what specific changes he sees. I know now I sometimes smile, I talk to people, I look them in the eye, of course I don't stink of gin.

What are your just noticeable differences in sobriety?
I have heard many people recognize changes in ourselves before we do. In my brief sobriety, I have heard a few comments from people that are not in recovery nor are aware of what I am going through - You seem different? Did you get haircut? Yea, something has changed - not sure what.

If I had to pick something out, I suppose it would be my eyes. Clear and bright, unred - and focused. I have become much more engaged and attentive as well.

I have been using snake oil lately though, perhaps it's that as well!

Good topic Courage!
fly
Old 11-06-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had a couple of people who have no idea that I quit comment that I look 'fresh'. It was funny actually b/c I could tell they were searching for the right description. Fresh seems to fit how I feel
Old 11-06-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

I'm more "present" and alert... More pleasant to be around I'm sure... More upbeat and outgoing... And definitely less forgetful.

B
Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a heck of a lot wiser

D
Old 11-06-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I keep my inner dialog to myself. Before, if I didn't like someone, people would know why and how and yada yada. Now, I may think that so and so is a such and such, but I don't say it. Still feel bad for thinking it though.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

Some more jnds for me in sobriety --

In talking, I don't lose my train of thought mid-sentence anymore.
If you run into me early in the morning, I don't have the shakes.
If you visit my office, you won't see any highball or shot glasses on my shelves.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Definitely less silly mistakes... in work and home life. Less little kitchen accidents as well.
My care factor has greatly improved over all, that is really nice...
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

The biggest one for me is that I realized I actually have the ability to love myself and others.

Oops...they're supposed to be the tiniest differences ....boy did I eff that one up lol :\
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my official quit is July 21 too! I've been around since January, but had to go and get into trouble in order to start to make this stick...
Old 11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Less little kitchen accidents as well.
Oh yes LOL! Me and can openers had bad problems.

And I forgot to mention that I'm a lot stronger physically and have visibly better muscle tone and posture.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A colleague of mine used to comment, on a fairly regular basis, that I looked "tired." This used to really annoy me, as I was then trying to keep up a normal facade... Perhaps, in retrospect, she was trying to clue me in that something was noticeably wrong.

Know what? After my 2+ sober years, she doesn't ever say that about me anymore!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am much more patient.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hair and skin feel clean and healthy (if that makes sense)
Im also feeling more emotion and not just numb all the time.
I have to ask myself why it took this long to get sober, I guess i just wasnt ready
Great thread!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Posted this before, I think, but, after just a week of recovery I spent the evening with a group of friends. Sober, it was so much easier to engage with people, to be genuinely interested, and to be funny. Later when I got home, I got a text from one of the people there, and she just said how good it was to see me, and what great company I had been. That had NEVER happened before, and it put me on cloud nine, I can tell you.

A brilliant thread.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My daily routine of leaving the house has been truncated - improved memory! Typically ole fly would have walked in and out of the house at least 4 -5 times every morning before departing. Keys, rats - phone, damn - that letter I was gonna mail, son of a ..... pants? - Well, check!

Now I am able to have a mental check list and gather most everything at once. Cut my the morning in and out down to 1.5 times I would say on average. My wife threaten to get a pet door......

fly
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I forgot about this and I don't know how I forgot about it... My legs used to swell like crazy after an eventful weekend (weekend binge drinker here). Haven't had that in a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-07-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I work harder around the house and do more things outside my comfort level for other people's sake.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I can process how I am feeling better. I don't swing between such high highs and low lows.