Notices

Help

Old 11-03-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

My girlfriend of 4 years and I have just broken up.

All i want to do is go up to the bottle shop and get a drink. This sucks

I have been doing so so well and now this
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Breakups are awful. But you know drinking over one problem will just give you two. You need to process these feelings, and you can't do that drunk. Hang in there!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this too Dicky. Take it from me tho - drinking will not help one iota. It just keeps the pain raw, and you relive it again and again.

I lost 18 months of my life that way.

Lean on the community here. Accept the support.

D
Old 11-03-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that, but stay strong!!

If you start drinking now, chances are it will escalate and you're emotions will just remain as hurt as they are right after. I had one of my worst drinking years after a bad break up, and I so wish I never picked up the first one!

And my ex actually might have wanted to get back with me after a while, but by then I had drank myself so fat, ugly and miserable that I couldn't even bare to meet my ex to let him see what I'd become. I was not recognizable. All I did was look at old photos, drink and cry.

That's not the way to go. Heal yourself while sober. Work out or something. Like that you can show your face to your ex if chances arrives...or be proud of yourself and meet someone new.

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking won't help, it will just make you feel even worse. Not nice to feel these emotions when we have been used to pushing them down with alcohol but it will get easier. We should feel things. You can get through this. Keep posting if you feel the urge to drink (((hugs)))
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dixy the main point is 'youve been doing so well'

do not drink it will solve nothing let us be here for you your sobriety will get a lot stronger if you dont drink
if you need to vent then vent but pls dont drink it just aint worth ther pain

hang in there bud
Old 11-04-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry! Stay close by. Big hugs
Old 11-04-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree, stay sober. I dont know the circumstances of the break up (obviously), or whether you would like to get back with her, but getting drunk won't solve things, if you do want to.
If the break up was alcohol fueled, then show her you can stay sober!
In my experience, strong emotions and booze do NOT mix - I know for me, it makes me do stupid things, like fire off endless text messages etc etc, which resolves nothing and just adds to the problem. (Not saying you're the same)

Keep posting and stay strong x
Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys.

I'm really surprised with my mental toughness. In the past i wouldnt have hesitated drowning my sorrows with alcohol. You guys are right and i would only feel ****** tomorrow.

Day 12 tomorrow. Onwards and upwards
Old 11-04-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DickySix View Post
That's it!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good choice buddy.
A drink wont bring her back but it will make you feel a helluva lot worse about yourself.
The booze is just an all round no winner.
Don't take a drink and choose sobriety.
It is the right thing for us to do when this stuff happens.
We don't need to run and hide any more.....
G
Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It may be hard, but facing this without alcohol will serve you better in the end. You can do it - you have been doing it for 12 days already! Thats a great accomplishment so keep building on that! You will find an endless supply of support here.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A breakup can be very painful. Processing the grief sober will accelerate your grieving phases. You will experience, fear, sadness, anger, etc.

Each emotion will cycle back and forth until you experience acceptance. Embrace and acknowledge the emotions. We Alcoholics tend to hate dealing with emotions. Reason why we picked up in the first place.

Good luck and keep strong
Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

congrats of 12 days Dicky! Good job on posting your thoughts here and thinking thru before going out. Drinking just makes things worse.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
A breakup can be very painful. Processing the grief sober will accelerate your grieving phases. You will experience, fear, sadness, anger, etc.

Each emotion will cycle back and forth until you experience acceptance. Embrace and acknowledge the emotions. We Alcoholics tend to hate dealing with emotions. Reason why we picked up in the first place.

Good luck and keep strong
fear, sadness, anger. These are the 3 emotions i have been feeling. My mood has been all over the place the last few days. I have been accused of being a dick when I think im acting normal. How long will these mood swings last for? I read something about PAWS, does this have anything to do with it?

Once again thanks for everyones support
Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Thanks so much guys.

I'm really surprised with my mental toughness. In the past i wouldnt have hesitated drowning my sorrows with alcohol. You guys are right and i would only feel ****** tomorrow.

Brilliant! Great to hear this, Dicky!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fear, sadness, anger. These are the 3 emotions i have been feeling. My mood has been all over the place the last few days. I have been accused of being a dick when I think im acting normal. How long will these mood swings last for? I read something about PAWS, does this have anything to do with it?

I was told years ago - when you break up with someone, it's a day for every week you were together, a week for every month and a month for every year. have yet to disprove this theory x
Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mood swings are very normal Dicky - it can be an emotional rollercoaster for a while, although it's different for everyone...we did a lot of damage to ourselves - it takes time for that to heal.

D