Notices

Eyes in early sobriety

Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eyes in early sobriety

I have been rereading all the threads in which people talk about the physican changes they experience when they quit drinking. Many of them mention the eyes.

Some say they have "cleared up." Some say they sparkle now.

Would you mind if i asked what "cleared up" means? Mine are looking pretty bad. What did yours look like before you quit?

Thanks. I'm having such a crappy day.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most of the day my eyes looked like I had just coughed my head off and eye lids were a little puffy. Now the whites are bright and lids are puffy no more.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoloresHaze View Post
I'm having such a crappy day.
I hope your day gets better.

I hate to spoil the ending but everything is going to be ok
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a bad day.

My eyes were bloodshot every morning from the drinking, and I tried to mask that with eye drops daily. Also, frequently tearing (not from crying), especially in windy weather outside. My vision was also affected I think... sometimes (especially on days of real bad hangovers) it was pretty blurry. I don't wear glasses or contacts all the time, have prescription only for far vision. But there was this blurry vision on some days. Other days, fine.

After even only 3-4 days sober, the red eyes "cleared up" meaning they were no longer red. The tearing and blurry bursts of vision took a bit longer, but not longer than ~10 days, to go.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm at 3 weeks and most of the time my eyes look way better as mentioned above: not puffy or red. But there are some days, if I'm tired or dehydrated, when I feel like I look just the same as I did while drinking! I remember the first time I quit, I was really physically wrecked, and it took a couple months before I felt like my eyes looked consistently clearer. So if yours aren't sparkly yet, don't worry... it'll happen!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mines are brilliantly white. Not bloodshot. I noticed this a few days ago.

Day 19
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I did not have blood shot eyes but I always had dark circle under my eyes as if I was living in a state of perpertual exhaustion (which I actually was).
Those went away, when I get dark circles nowadays I know that I need some rest.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey DoloresHaze-

Mine were never really too bloodshot most of the time, however I did have some puffiness, which cleared up when I stopped. I was also told that my entire face looked much healthier, however I never knew that it was looking unhealthy before I stopped. I suppose I was just so use to looking at my own mug, that I never noticed.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I had two weeks sober, then a week drunk, and now another week sober, and my eyes are still very red. I haven't been using any Visine since I quit because I figured maybe they needed natural blood flow to heal. I don't know how long it will take. But they don't burn like they used to, and my undereyes are not swollen anymore. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After about a week of not drinking I noticed my eyes looked less puffy. It's taken longer for the dark circles under my eyes to start disappearing. Someone else in one of my meetings said about their eyes clearing up and said that their eyes used to be really bloodshot.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of the biggest benefits for me (I am 56, so not a naturally dewey-eyed young thing LOL.) But the way my eyes looked while drinking or hungover was the single biggest distress, and the one thing I felt I had to explain away to everyone. "Allergies! Jeez, they are bad this year! Yeah, allergies!" :rolleyes. I should have been buying Visine by the five-gallon bucket. And, it doesn't really work that well either, I found.

Anyhow I am not quite three weeks sober and my eyes are no longer red, puffy, horrendously bloodshot with big dark circles underneath. Not perfectly clear but 80% better and I am no longer self-conscious about how horrible and stoned/sick I look.

Also, blurry vision - something that has only been an issue for me in the last four years after drinking and the day after (which translated to almost all of the time.) This may of course also be a function of age because it's nothing I noticed before but recently it's become a real problem.