Notices

Day 1 - and this is the last day 1 ever :)

Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Mavis - this may sound contrary to popular opinion - but having an urge is natural. Why not feel it - really FEEL what it feels like to have an urge. Sit with it. Be OK with it. It's natural to have an urge, it's just not natural that we decide to drink to take it away. Where is it in your body? On a scale of 1 to 10 how painful is it? Is it associated with other emotions? Does it have a colour? Can you move it around? Can you sit with it and get to understand it so that when it comes upon you, you can say, "Oh this is just my urge, I think I'll just settle into it and see if it's trying to tell me something."

And, I'm adding an edit. Once you notice it, you will also notice that it begins to subside.
Works for me.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by audra View Post
Hi Mavis - this may sound contrary to popular opinion - but having an urge is natural. Why not feel it - really FEEL what it feels like to have an urge. Sit with it. Be OK with it. It's natural to have an urge, it's just not natural that we decide to drink to take it away. Where is it in your body? On a scale of 1 to 10 how painful is it? Is it associated with other emotions? Does it have a colour? Can you move it around? Can you sit with it and get to understand it so that when it comes upon you, you can say, "Oh this is just my urge, I think I'll just settle into it and see if it's trying to tell me something."

Works for me.
I really like this ^^^^^, audra. We need to understand and know the enemy to beat it.

You can do this, Mavis.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mavis...Don't give up. If you are going to quit for good you need to be done with alcohol. Alcohol IS NOT AN OPTION in our lives ANY MORE! If you are serious about quitting you will realize this. Just don't put the alcohol in your mouth. If your angry, depressed, happy, these are not excuses to drink. Have you tried to work the steps? People can say what they want about 12 step programs but those steps work. They keep me sober. You don't have to go to meetings if you don't want to but look at those 12 steps. The first step and the 2nd and 3rd step help me the most. Good luck. Be strong, don't you feel your stronger than alcohol? Are you really gonna let alcohol make your decisions?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

All the best, Mavis! We're all here for you whenever you need us.

Start each day promising yourself that you won't drink that day. It's been helping me to have a very specific plan: what I'm going to eat, what I'm going to drink (how many cups of coffee, tea, juice, water, etc), approx what times of day I'm going to eat and drink (I'm finding that if I have a meal at the times that I usually get the urges, the urge goes away very quickly). I've been using the myfitnesspal app to track all of that and being completely honest with it. You'd be surprised and shocked to see how many calories you consume when alcohol enters the picture. Certainly helps with accountability.

One day at a time, Mavis. You got this.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Can you change stores? I have to shop at a different grocery store now because it's too ingrained in me to buy booze at the old one.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mavis,
good to see you going for this again.
but you're wrong: you don't have to do this alone
you may not be able to make it to a real-life meeting, but there are all kinds of recovery meetings online. seriously.

and i do have the suggestion you not wait to post until you hear the AV, but post regardless. i'm suggesting it because being really engaged 2with others has been a huge benefit to me. not waiting til things are starting to go wonky seems like a better shot at staying in the sober groove...
you can do this!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You can do this Mavis!! Tweak your plan though!!