Notices

Wow some posts scares me

Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, the post produced some reasurring responses! I took from it, that if things never got any better than they were/are now, then no-one would bother with long-term sobriety.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Another one I've heard is it's a disease of perception. The "fun" we're having with our "friends" was not really that fun, and the people we drank with weren't really our friends.

The best thing I did this time around was deleting and blocking phone numbers so those people didn't trigger another relapse. If you don't do what is healthy for your sobriety, if you don't change, then recovery will be a struggle. If you're ready to do whatever it takes, then you'll have to make the changes necessary to keep your struggles at bay.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jp123 View Post
Some of these post actually scares me. I read one about, what people are going through 1-2 years down the road. I ask my self? Am I going to have to go through that.
Check out the Gratitude threads jp123, they also contain posts about what people are going through 1-2 [and more] years down the track.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
The thing to remember as well is people tend to post here when they're going through a bad time, not because they're negative people but "Everything went alright today" isn't much of a talking point. So I think that can sometimes cast sobriety in a more negative light than is reality.
I've been thinking of writing a post about this very subject for about three days, Thomas.

The future is a mystery to all of us, jp123. Drunk or sober things will happen to us. Some good and some bad, no matter what we do. I can say with certainty though that a sober me takes the troubles in stride a lot better than the drunk me ever did.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Jp123, I'm at day 18 for a few reasons, I finally decided to choose being sober and not loosing everything. I then found SR and started reading, It scared the hell out of me. It hurt a lot and in the posts I saw myself and seen what will happen if I continued to drink. Being scared for the right reason is not weakness it shows your smart and you know you have a lot to lose if you don't find a way of changing. Take it day by day , don't think about failure make that not an option . Stay here, learn and take the support it will help. If you really want to see what this stuff does to the ones that love you. Check out the family posts it's from people who live with us. This one hurts, a real eye opener .