Notices

Frustrated

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustrated

I drank too much at a farewell party in my honor on Saturday (yesterday). Estimate 10 12-ounce beers and two shots of champagne. It was hosted by my (now former) boss and her husband. We had a keg, and there was still a lot left by the end of it ("get some more! we need to kick the keg," the husband said). Now I'm done Day 1 of withdrawal. Anxiety/agitation/kind of sweaty, maybe slightly numb lips and occasional twitch. Things seem better so far than the bad withdrawal I had before (see next) - fingers crossed.

Once before, I drank five days in a row at a conference. I was so bad that I slept 6 hours total over the first four days. Hallucinated on the second day - crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen this time. Paced and walked around like a madman - I think some people I ran into were legitimately scared of me. I also had no effect in my speech at first. Personality withdrawal, if you will, lasted several weeks. I didn't drink for three months after that.

I do not have the ability to refuse more drinks when people offer. I binge drink socially for anxiety self-medication - I have no alcohol in my apartment. I don't want to drink again but often can't stop myself after one or two. I don't usually have the fortitude. I'm so frustrated, putting myself through the wringer again. It's like I didn't learn last time.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Sounds like you learned plenty. Now it's time to apply what you learned. Avoid having one or two and the problem is solved. I wish you well.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once I had one drink I couldn't stop either. The craving became insane. This is why I actually find it so much easier to not drink at all. I don't need to try and come off like Pollyanna or that it's easy. It's not. It is easier though then all the BS bargaining, counting, planning on only having two crap.

One thing that's really helped me to stop drinking is acknowledging that having two is more difficult than having zero. If I were on a desert island and two beers appeared every day, floating up to the beach, I would not drink them. Two beers actually made me more anxious than just zero.

I couldn't go to any parties or functions for the first few months. I don't think I would've drank any alcohol at them, but it just would've been too much for me to handle. Think of how you're feeling today, the hangover and withdrawal. You never have to feel this way again.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support. I want to quit alcohol. I didn't realize how hard it could be in the wrong situation.

For my really bad withdrawal this past summer, I was prescribed Seroquel (aka Quetiapine), but never took them. I have 25 mg tablets and can cut them. I'm considering it because I doubt I will sleep much tonight without help and am also anxious/agitated, and Seroquel is supposed to help with both. Has anybody taken Seroquel? Is it safe?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tj, can I ask why you didn't take the prescribed meds for withdrawal? We self-medicated for so long with alcohol, thinking we knew how best to medicate and that didn't work. Why not trust your doctor?

You can do this!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Tj, can I ask why you didn't take the prescribed meds for withdrawal? We self-medicated for so long with alcohol, thinking we knew how best to medicate and that didn't work. Why not trust your doctor?

You can do this!
Another (honestly bigger) part of my story is that I have a history with antidepressants, and it wasn't pretty - they ended up doing more harm than good. I'm still recovering from the antidepressant usage. So I was loathe to take another one.

I took a Seroquel 25 mg pill 30 minutes ago and within minutes I had increased anxiety and shaking and a feeling of coldness. Those have worn off a little, and I'm definitely more tired than I had been, but I have failed several times to fall asleep. Maybe try again in another 15-30 minutes? I keep worrying I'll have seizures and DTs.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Hope you feel better soon- there are better treatments for social anxiety available?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
Most of us on the forum have what is called a compulsion to drink alcohol once we have the first drink, we want more and more. The simplest solution is to NOT have the first drink so we don’t need to TRY to get sober AGAIN.
There is much help here along with other programs that will work IF we stay working them. The big problem with the alcoholic is we forget the pain we go through to get here or there and slip back to our old ways. Staying sober requires work and changing the person we were.
The results are first to anything we probably experienced in the past.

BE WELL
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck but you might want to consider going to an aa meeting
Old 10-27-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjs19 View Post
Another (honestly bigger) part of my story is that I have a history with antidepressants, and it wasn't pretty - they ended up doing more harm than good. I'm still recovering from the antidepressant usage. So I was loathe to take another one.

I took a Seroquel 25 mg pill 30 minutes ago and within minutes I had increased anxiety and shaking and a feeling of coldness. Those have worn off a little, and I'm definitely more tired than I had been, but I have failed several times to fall asleep. Maybe try again in another 15-30 minutes? I keep worrying I'll have seizures and DTs.
Hello, I am glad you have found the forum. It is a great place for support, it has been a tremendous help to me as I attempt sobriety.
I would really recommend giving your doctor a ring or better yet scheduling a visit. If you are worried about seizures and DTs they can help you with that. It would also be a good idea to ask about the old prescription and whether or not it is a good idea for you to use it now. Even though it is the same pill for the same situation, some things might have changed that could alter what your doctor suggests. It is probably no big deal, but always better to double check.

Hang in there. Withdrawal is not fun at all, but things get so much better once you get through it.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! You'll find loads of support here on SR to help!!