Notices

Putting myself on a limb

Old 10-25-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Putting myself on a limb

So, I am going to go to rehab no matter what, I've decided to just let it all go , and see where the card fall.

So, I don't even know how to do this, I am literally going to abandon my life and take the jump for better or worse. Don't get me wrong I am finding a place for the kitties, but really given the fact the rent might not be paid this month once I walk out the door, I walk out the door, I am going to lose everything.

Man, reality is hitting me, but I am going to lose everything anyways, so now is the time. I know its stupid and ancillary, but I don't want to lose my two cats, I hope the person I found will take care of them till I get better. They are my little buddies, and I can't stand the thought of losing them.

Well I did it, I issued the wife an ultimatum, basically told her. Look I love you but this is over, I don't think she understood. I mean I really think she thinks I am pulling her tail, I have in the past. However, she is going to be really upset Monday, when I kiss her, take the cats to my friends and abandon her.

I love her, thats the hard part, I really love her. I lose all my daughters stuff, all my stuff, everything. I am really just throwing myself to the fire, I suppose if I come out sober its for the best. Stupid, but I can't lose my cats, I love them too much. I am a sentimental guy. so I hope at least save that. As for Melissa, poor child, hope she doesn't kill herself when I am gone, this in a way is my farewell to my old life, it has to be that way.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

sometimes a limb can be a bridge to something better TDG.

I know it's hard, but try not to think too far ahead - you cant control what may happen while you're away or after you get out.

Try and stay in the moment, sort yourself out, and you'll be in the best position to deal with any eventuality

D
Old 10-25-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes Jeremy - please don't overthink this. Be kind to yourself. You're doing the best possible thing.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

How long will your rehab last? It usually takes quite some time to evict people and they can't seize your property. Talk to the rehab people about how to handle these details.

What you're doing is turning away from suicide.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jeremy don't spend your time on talking yourself out of a life changing decision.

Get the kitties cared for, have a quiet Sunday, let your folks know where you are going. The rehab people will guide you in everything.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey man,

I think you are looking at it wrong. You aren't abandoning your life, you are saving it.

Think about that.......
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
How long will your rehab last? It usually takes quite some time to evict people and they can't seize your property. Talk to the rehab people about how to handle these details.

What you're doing is turning away from suicide.
^ Good idea TDG, I am sure they can at least make come contacts for you, since it would be obvious your concern over family and all would impede your rehab. Worth a try.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally get the cat thing, I truly do. But you're doing the right thing. They'll be happier as pets with you when you can take care of yourself better.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

J just do this and you will see how much better life can get

i believe in you so much friend
Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I admire your courage and determination. I wish you true blessings on your journey. Keep your mind set and aim for the life you deserve!

Be well...

Shakenup
Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It varies by state but generally a landlord can't just take all your stuff and sell it. In almost every locality they're required to store it for a period, often up to a year. Also, maybe someone can keep some of it for you?

Ultimately though I think everyone is right- you're not abandoning your life, you're saving it. If you're to have any chance of salvaging the things you really value- your daughter, your own life- then you have to be able to get sober. If you don't it will kill you eventually. Life is the only thing that can't be replaced.

I wish you well, TDG! I hope your wife understands and gets with the program, and hopefully you'll be able to get your daughter back. And the kitties, too!
Old 10-26-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Look after YOU and get the help you need Jeremy!!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear this. Stuff can be replaced. YOU cannot. I think it's great that you found someone to take care of your cats and they will be there when you get back. I would also recommend that you take any important documents (birth certificates, insurance policies, etc.) and put them in a safe place with someone you trust.

Good luck. Sending much love and lots of hugs your way. You can do this!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakenup View Post
I admire your courage and determination. I wish you true blessings on your journey. Keep your mind set and aim for the life you deserve!

Be well...

Shakenup

I also admire your courage and determination. Stay strong, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I got sober following my three-year relapse, I had a small wheeled suitcase filled with clothing, important papers and documents, a few personal belongings and my iBook. The suitcase is smaller than it may sound. I carried a couple of coats I had on hangers. I brought all this to detox, then rehab, and then in a crisis center until I got help to find suitable housing. I had eighteen dollars.

My cat, Petey, died while I was in detox and under the care of my sister, who also had a cat. My sister told me that Petey stayed alive long enough for me to get help. Petey's sister, Sophie (like my avatar, a black cat) had died several months prior to Petey's death.

Early on in sobriety, I regretted having lost so many material things, but the loss of those items paled in comparison to what I'd lost personally...family, friends, the love of my life, self-respect, a compelling purpose in my life, dignity, reputation, meaningful work. Today, I can't think of a single item that I missed after getting sober. Losing things along the way during my relapse became a common occurrence that I learned to tolerate and, perhaps with no small irony, is what brought me to get the help I needed.

I love my work, experience varying levels of enthusiasm with each new day, have a nice and comfortable place to live, good friends, and an extremely supportive family. I am now more or less present for my life, no longer regret my past, and have every reason to believe that I will be okay as I move forward in my life. And if I'm not always okay, I'm confident that I know what to do about it and have the people in my life who can help me through the rough spots. As Dee likes to say, I now have a life that I don't need to run away from.

People come and go, things come and go, money comes and goes. The only thing I can't replace is my life.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is awesome news TDG. I am happy to hear you've made the decision.

Can't wait to hear your first post when you come out - feeling healthy, happy, and over the moon.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So pleased you are going to rehab
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep your eye on the prize, Jeremy; everything else is, in the total scheme of life, small stuff. You can rebuild or reacquire what you lose from a material standpoint. Your life, your health, your relationship with your daughter are the gold in your world.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Since you have not posted in a while, hope you are in rehab or somewhere safe, TDG.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great decision TDG. hoping for the best.