Notices

This disease is weak

Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This disease is weak

9 months sober and I haven't thought about a drink since week 1 I am strong and the disease is weak ... Just like that I inexplicably had 2 glasses of wine with dinner then again 3 days later only 2 glasses - I a feeling great that I can now drink socially and then 2 became 6 and I am back to day zero - I thought the demon was gone but he was just laying in wait - I am weak but I will win by admitting my weakness rather than flaunting my strength
Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found to my cost how relentless this thing is Kluhs.

The really good news is if you don't feed it, there's not a damn thing it can do about it

D
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i did the same many years ago, i had been 15 years sober at the time but i wasnt in aa or anything i had long left them but i had to try and see if i could drink normaly after all that time
i did drink normaly for a short while i had 1 drink and i went home, so i tried it next time having 2 drinks and i went home, i had 4 drinks and i loved it i behaved myself and went home with my ex wife and i was singing and happy
that was perfect, thats all i ever wanted from drinking
sadly it didnt last long i was soon getting drunk as skunk again, and then i was soon starting to get into trouble again and by this time i was back to making excuses for my drinking and blaming everyone else for it all etc

anyway 8 years on i was drinking everyday 24/7 and i lost everything around me and my family ended up alone and flat broke and being back to prison a few times for drunkeness

its a hell of a road to go down all because i wanted to prove that i can drink normaly like other people
total madness
Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This condition is anything BUT weak in my opinion.......... i've never in my life experienced anything that kept me awake for nearly two whole weeks, ever!......... and that was despite trying everything in the book including "maximum strength" sleeping pills.

Knowledge and the internet, along with a strong willpower, are pretty much the only defenses there are.

One of the bigger societal lies is that alcohol is "safe" and "no big deal". It turns out it's actually a rather serious chemical to ingest on a regular basis, and not "safe" as is commonly claimed.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desypete View Post
i did the same many years ago, i had been 15 years sober at the time but i wasnt in aa or anything i had long left them but i had to try and see if i could drink normaly after all that time i did drink normaly for a short while i had 1 drink and i went home, so i tried it next time having 2 drinks and i went home, i had 4 drinks and i loved it i behaved myself and went home with my ex wife and i was singing and happy that was perfect, thats all i ever wanted from drinking sadly it didnt last long i was soon getting drunk as skunk again, and then i was soon starting to get into trouble again and by this time i was back to making excuses for my drinking and blaming everyone else for it all etc anyway 8 years on i was drinking everyday 24/7 and i lost everything around me and my family ended up alone and flat broke and being back to prison a few times for drunkeness its a hell of a road to go down all because i wanted to prove that i can drink normaly like other people total madness
Been there done that! Once an alcoholic...always an alcoholic! I learned my lesson too! I have accepted that out of 100 things I can do, drinking alcohol is one I can't do. I'll do the other 99 and stay alive! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-24-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are not weak, the alcohol is just stronger when we allow it to become part of our lives again.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish this disease was weak... I wish I was strong.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For some people they can have one or two drinks and stop. If your an alcoholic like me you cant. I remember company picnics or holiday functions where I would say to myself I'll only have 1. Long story short it never happened.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Taking responsibility or a victim mentality

Originally Posted by kluhs View Post
9 months sober and I haven't thought about a drink since week 1 I am strong and the disease is weak ... Just like that I inexplicably had 2 glasses of wine with dinner then again 3 days later only 2 glasses - I a feeling great that I can now drink socially and then 2 became 6 and I am back to day zero - I thought the demon was gone but he was just laying in wait - I am weak but I will win by admitting my weakness rather than flaunting my strength
Now you know, what are you going to do about it? Take responsibility for your choices or be the victim of an otherworldly 'disease'?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol, Powerful, Baffling and Cunning for alcoholics.

BE WELL
Old 10-25-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you say tomato, I say tomato

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Alcohol, Powerful, Baffling and Cunning for alcoholics.

BE WELL
Hey, i'm actually curious about that one.

Could you elaborate on your platitude a little bit?

I was just wondering....if alcoholism is a disease....then surely it is in the mind of the person, no?

If it's in the mind of the person....well how can alcohol the liquid itself, be cunning and baffling and powerful?

Anyway, it's not to start a debate, I was just wondering about the platitude.

At the end of the day, tomato, tomato...whatever way you look at the alcohol problem, solving it takes responsibility for one's actions.

Do you have a victim mentality or are you taking responsibility for your actions is a reasonable question that can present some valuable insights.

You Say 'Tomato', I say 'Tomato'... - YouTube
Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
Notice I said “for alcoholics?”
IF it’s not a disease the insurance companies have paid out many billions for treatment over many years.
It is also causing more than 200K deaths a year in the US alone forgetting the damaged people resulting from auto crashes etc.
The end result from this malady it’s among the worst ways to die. Much pain and suffering by alcoholics can stop simply by not drinking but the vast majorities don’t/can’t.
Try doing a search on alcoholic drinking, I’m no rocket scientist but I don’t want that miserable life for myself or my worst enemy.

BE WELL
Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AM, this isn't really the place to debate recovery theories and I'm on the fence about the disease concept as well. But this thread about the book Under The Influence is pretty persuasive.

kluhs, nine months is awesome! Sorry you relapsed, but we've all been there. Keep on fighting the good fight.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.
Notice I said “for alcoholics?”
IF it’s not a disease the insurance companies have paid out many billions for treatment over many years.
It is also causing more than 200K deaths a year in the US alone forgetting the damaged people resulting from auto crashes etc.
The end result from this malady it’s among the worst ways to die. Much pain and suffering by alcoholics can stop simply by not drinking but the vast majorities don’t/can’t.
Try doing a search on alcoholic drinking, I’m no rocket scientist but I don’t want that miserable life for myself or my worst enemy.

BE WELL
Hey, cool thanks for the reply.

All the best.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
AM, this isn't really the place to debate recovery theories and I'm on the fence about the disease concept as well. But this thread about the book Under The Influence is pretty persuasive.

kluhs, nine months is awesome! Sorry you relapsed, but we've all been there. Keep on fighting the good fight.
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Have a good one.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Our addiction can come out of nowhere with these myths and fairytales of we have beaten it, and we can now somehow drink normally and control things.

The reality is I tested that theory many times and the same conclusion was reached, no matter how long I'd been Sober, weeks, months, I hadn't been cured or healed in any way, my drinking would spiral, maybe not on day 1, but within a few weeks I'd be back to as bad as ever!!

You can do this kluhs!!