Notices

Finding things to

Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding things to

Trying to find things to do while going through this sobriety. I am home all day, do onlineschool....after that nothing. I need some suggestions on what to do other than drinking....I am so sick of it.....
Old 10-13-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Exercise. Walk. Walk some more.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I get bored I read or watch movies or walk my dogs.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find something to clean . Or rearrange drawers,kitchen cabinets,.i then feel good that I got some things done.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Great suggestions above.

What helped me most of all was calling people from AA (and/or hanging out). If nothing else, than to catch up and BS for a bit. These guys have become some of my dearest friends.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was hard for me trying to fill my time. And I tried to remember what I did before I drank every day. Once I remembered what I did, I gradually started to add those things back in my life. Maybe take a look through old photos to see what you were doing that made you happy when you were drinking.

But I totally support the exercising and just getting yourself outdoors and into the fresh air.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys... This is the advice I need....anyone else please feel free to add your advice....much needed
Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Zynga poker has been one of my main activities these weeks.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like to vary my days... Favorites for evenings are reading books and articles, walking in the city exploring places, walking my neighbor's dog (I don't have one), watching people in the city, talking with random strangers or a friend 1:1, watching a movie in a theater (rarely on TV or Netflix), music or other kinds of shows, yoga, sometimes work, learning a new techie thing or taking a class, of course internet and SR... and whatever idea comes to mind. Tonight it was dog walking, now internet, and will pick up a book before going to sleep.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been leading an isolated existence since I sobered up. I have a lot of free time that I don't know what to do with. I don't mind the empty calender so much because I have some serious work to do on myself. My only goal each day is to not drink. Boredom, loneliness, sadness rear their ugly heads often but I know that I am in an important transition period in my life and that I just have to fight through it all.

I walk to far off neighbourhoods to buy groceries or read book in cafes to get out of the house. At home, I have the TV on and my laptop open to distract myself from ruminating about my past or craving a drink.

To greener pastures!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

reading has helped me tremendously...I have read all types of recovery books. Reading these forums is very affirming and helpful...and yoga....is there an afternoon/evening yoga or other kind of fitness class that would interest you? Peace to you
Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do about 4-6 hours/month of volunteer work with kids. I have met some new friends through this and am getting out of the house more (besides work ). I lived in isolation also when I drank so I had to make an effort to change that. I'm really glad I did.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 right now without a lot of energy. Last night I watched the movie 28 Days and tonight The Anonymous People. Both are sobriety related and not depressing - they were good.

I isolated, too.

Recently, I became a volunteer board member of a non-profit music school. They offer lessons for $1 each to disadvantaged kids. Pretty cool, I think. It's a good way to ease back into the world.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

I work from home and don't do much outside of my house unless it's errands or appts so I know how you feel... The gym keeps me sane and going on runs in my neighborhood when the weather permits. Also solo dates here and there. Think of your hobbies and kinda make it a point to do more of incorporating them in your day to day so you're constantly doing things that make you happy

-B
Old 10-13-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I like to give my time to a local charity. Giving back makes me feel great and it makes me feel like getting sober is with it. I like to help dog and animals. They are easier to talk to and deal with than humans. I like yo make money and donate it to charity as well.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I enjoy the "me" time. Take a nap, call my mom or an old friend. Something that really helps me is a journal I've made of things I've missed out on. When I get bored I'll pull it out and see if there's an opportunity to do one of those things. The other day I had a solo bonfire and made s'mores. I never cared to eat s'mores when I was drinking. It was quite relaxing.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Reading, exercise, joining a spiritual community and beginning a daily meditation practice, listening to music, hanging out with friends, playing video games, volunteering, going for walks, drinking tea, writing in a journal, making lists...all those things have helped me enormously. I think it's also cool to learn how to be bored and be all right with that. Sometimes there's not a lot going on, and that is okay, too.

My heaviest period of drinking was also very self-isolated, so I really know the feeling! It seemed as if I was on an entirely different planet, and re-joining the rest of the world an impossible task. But it's totally possible if you believe and get creative with solutions. I find that even the smallest steps - be it getting out of bed, putting on clothes or eating a meal, can be challenging, but can make a huge, huge difference.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
It was hard for me trying to fill my time. And I tried to remember what I did before I drank every day. Once I remembered what I did, I gradually started to add those things back in my life. Maybe take a look through old photos to see what you were doing that made you happy when you were drinking.
Haha, I started drinking in my early teens until I was in my late 40s. When people say that they try to remember what they did before they started drinking, I think of homework, after school swim practice, and marching band!

But to the OP, I started reading about nutrition. I walked a lot. In the beginning, I really just slept a lot and that ate a lot of my time. Now I've learned golf, learned to ride a motorcycle, ride a bike a lot, and read a lot of books!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with the post about reading books on recovery. I just finished 'drinking:a love story' and am re-reading rational recovery. And reading the posts on here. There was a great thread started the other day 'things I don't have to do anymore' a fantastic thread will definitely help you when you have a wobble!