Notices

It took me almost 1 year

Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Red face It took me almost 1 year

On 10-01-13 I found and immediately joined SR. That's disturbing to me because I didn't actually achieve abstinence until 09-29-14 (that's now 14 days without a drop..at long last).
Why it's disturbing is because I've been in the bottle for such a large part of my life and the motivation to finally quit came because I suspect that I've done some damage to my body...real damage.
Tomorrow I meet with a gastroenterologist (Dr.G) who I've never seen before because I feel more comfortable finally talking about it with any MD who isn't my long time PCP. I've never had the gumption to admit it to Dr.M, I couldn't deal with the shame I felt.
Quitting has been surprisingly easy. I've no desire to drink, have had no DTs or other physical symptoms. Epiphanies are funny like that.
I check in here daily and am now ready to post and ask questions and thank you all for being here. The help has been tremendous. My next step is taking that walk into an AA meeting. I'm still working on that.
I'm glad to say that I've finally arrived.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you on getting it started, the not drinking part. Don't freak out too soon about the Doctor, it does not help to freak out. Just make sure if you have not damaged yourself you continue to not drink, because eventually it will hurt you.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here jshep. I'm so new I can't be any help, but know that you are not alone.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It takes what it takes Glad you are here and posting. Epiphanies can be rather powerful.

The guilt and shame begin to lessen. Kudos for making the doc appointment, you'll feel less anxiety about things.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me most of a year to finally make up my mind that I was stopping, and like you, health issues were a big part of it.

Congratulations on 14 days sober!
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear jshep,

Sorry you are not well and hope with time you will get better.

I am so happy you have taken the right step,
You do not see it know but life is so much better after a while not drinking...
It changes so many aspects of your life you will see them with time.
Just stick to your decision.

Go to AA If you need ask someone to a company you the first day but after you will see it is not that scary, they are all normal people like you and me.
You need help for the days you feel weak.
Have a look on internet the meetings in your area or if you feel unconformable further,
and just seat and listen and when you feel ready speak up.

Good luck in your recovery
Old 10-12-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done jshep and on your 2 weeks sober

well done
Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Thanks for the advice, herradura. I am preoccupied with the worries of my possible health problems, but once in a while I entertain the notion that maybe I slid by and can actually live many more years. That notion is usually followed by "Will I have the strength to not give in temptation if I find out that I don't have eg. cirrhosis, hepatitis, liver cancer, etc?" I want to be rid of my alcohol addiction and am here for help in keeping sight of that.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found the psychological, mental, spiritual angst to be much worse than my health fears and hangover symptoms. I also found it helpful to "play the tape" through and imagine any scenario where I'd drink again, and what the likely outcome would be.

Do I want to remain in a static, stagnant, dark existence where I'm spinning my wheels and never really living? No!

If you're at all concerned about your health, realize that any more drinking is not going to get you any further to a good health status. Quite the opposite.

So maybe you ought to prepare yourself that if you do hear you're good to go health-wise, what you're going to do with that info. Using it to justify drinking again is just one way the AV is going to come at you. That's your addiction speaking though, not YOU.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Many that sober up return to good health in short time. Not to be taken for granted because a still worse relapse is always out there waiting for us.
MM
Old 10-12-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't feel bad. It took me a year and a half to get sober after joining here.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree; part of the reason I quit was for my physical health. But in truth I was just worn out and sick of living that way. To me it's two different issues. I don't want to be a drunk anymore, and I won't go back to being one again. That I didn't ruin my body is a bonus to be sure but it's not the main motivation for me.

I hope your doctor's visit goes well. The body does have a great ability to heal itself once we stop feeding it poison.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jshep

I reckon it's never too late to start a new life

Hope things are not as bad as you fear

D