Notices

Panic attacks/Step 4...

Old 10-09-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks/Step 4...

I’m almost 50 days sober, and I’ve been getting full blown panic attacks for no reason lately. It’s weird, because I had general anxiety when I first sobered up & withdrawals etc., but I wasn’t having severe attacks like this.

I can’t think of anything that might be causing these, other than the fact that they’ve been occurring randomly ever since I started writing my Step 4. They don’t necessarily happen immediately after I finish writing, or even when I’m thinking about what to put on my step 4. The only correlation is that I’ve been having them since around the same time I started writing my inventory a week ago.

Anybody else experience this? Or even just panic attacks in general? And if so, any advice for how to handle these situations?

I’m already on anti-D / anti-A meds from my doctor, but this doesn’t seem to be helping or making a difference.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have had panic attacks since my teens and they are scary.

One simple but effective thing to do is to take at least three deep 'belly' breaths, slowly in and out. It really helps. When you're having a panic attack, your breathing becomes shallow and the lack of oxygen promotes the feeling of panic.

In general, meditating helps.

Two great books:

'When Panic Attacks' by David Burns MD
'From Panic to Power' by Lucinda Basset
Old 10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been sober 10 months now. I never had panic attacks that weren't associated with withdrawal before. About a month into sobriety, I started to have flashbacks about my past and I would often wake up in the middle of night feeling panicky. Suppressed drunken memories have been haunting me and causing me anxiety I never experienced before.

Deep breaths or a quick walk around the block usually are enough to calm myself. It seems your anxiety is caused by the same thing as mine: facing our past.

Glad your working hard Myrrah!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had my fair share of panic attacks, they are really really bad but they do pass. Honestly taking deep breaths helps a lot.

I've not done the steps but I'd suggest if you think it may be related to doing your moral inventory (i think that's step 4?) Then maybe take a break on that step for a week or something? If it's giving you grief. (Just my 2 cents).

Also might me an idea to see a doc again or mention it to your sponsor if you have one? I think doing a moral inventory of myself would give me panic attacks!

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mrrryah sorry this is happening try this big hugs

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - @AnxietySlayer
Old 10-09-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just wrote up my 4th in around 6-7 hours of work across 3 days.

My advice is don't prolong it, get it punched out and out of the way. That will alleviate most of the anxiety for a start.

I had anxiety, I thought screw it, I'm getting drunk, my alcoholism or AV (which ever you Prefer) was essentially going into full blown meltdown.

Ever seen a kid throw themselves on the ground and go nuts, tears, screaming, yelling abuse at their parent "I hate you".....???!? Blah blah blah

All because they were told NO over an ice cream or a barbie doll.

That is your AV having one last crack at hijacking your life again.

Just look at it and say " Oh poor widdle AV, Is that it, have you finished now? "

Good, because there is an adult in charge now!!!!