Notices

Confession

Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

One of the columns in the 4th step inventory process is "Fears"

In writing mine, I found out I fear, just about everything.

People, places, things.

The world I leave my children

Nuclear war

All stuff I have zero control over.

It actually helps just to write them all down. Very cathartic, and when you see them all in black and white, on paper, they lose a great deal of their power.

And the brain tends to go... "Oh well, it's written down now, looks like I can shut up for a while "

Highly recommended a bit of writing
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ironically, writing is what I do for a living! But, not this kind of writing....more technical writing. Perhaps that is why I don't care to write on my "off time". But, if it will help, then I will start a journal. I can see how that would be cathartic.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cool, I'd be interested to hear the results, if you are inclined to share them.

Hand written seems to work best. Hard to explain, but it just does.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So relatable Yes... it seemed I cared too deeply about so many things. Overwhelming really. All the feelings flooding me... thoughts going 90 miles an hour.

The good news... your brain does adjust and things quiet down. And there will come a point where you notice the "pause" between your thoughts and the moment you realize you actually have CHOICES Yay! Then, the dizzying array of choices open up to you. Your sober mind will be able to handle more things bombarding it. Fun times.

The "pause" between your feelings and crazy thoughts... and the moment you choose to act, or whether to act on them. That's a beautiful thing.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, Art - I'm just like you. Thought I was being kind to myself by taking the edge off with 'a few drinks'. Except that in the end I found myself completely dependent on it. I had only intended to use it to cope and make life less intense, but it doesn't work that way. I ended up with anxiety through the roof - the exact opposite of what I'd been trying to achieve.

With the state our world's in right now, I can't sleep some nights - but at least I've proven to myself that masking my feelings is never going to be the solution. Glad you started this thread - a good discussion.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
With the state our world's in right now, I can't sleep some nights
I know what you mean! I have mentioned this before but my sister was killed 9/11. Ever since then, I have had a heightened fear of terrorists and their ability to inflict harm on our soil. ISIS really scares me. I know we are better prepared, but they are very resourceful and can exploit our security holes. And then there is the Ebola scare right here in my backyard!

So.... I get what you are saying. My fear is rooted in reality, not an abstract sense of foreboding. I cannot do a damn thing about ISIS or ebola. And that is a helpless feeling I detest.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so sorry you lost your sister ArtFriend - naturally that would add to your fears.

I agree that writing things down could be helpful. Maybe you should mention this to your doctor. There's something called 'Generalized Anxiety Disorder'. At least you can talk about it here - hope it brings a little relief.