Notices

Back and more determined

Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and more determined

Well - I did great for 4 days and then the weekend came and went on a bender 3 nights in a row after the kids went to bed. I went through 3 big bottle of wine this weekend and a few beers on top of it. I feel like garbage - I cleared all the alcohol out of the house this morning and am ready to start over. I felt so great on the days I wasn't drinking. Day 1 here we go.....Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, BeBetter! Armed with what you learned in the four sober days--and then assessing how you actually felt during the bender--you will be stronger this time around. The longer you go, the better you get at resisting the wiles of the AV.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The man with the BIG plan!

In the same boat and did the same as you!
We can do this!!!!! All booze is out of my house to. Had a pouring out party at about 3:00am!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went and did it over and over expecting different results and that thinking was insanity for me. Eventually I was able to get honest with myself about my drinking and accept the fact I cannot drink in safety. In the process of not drinking small tools were incorporated like Remember When, Think the drink through, Did any of my drinking resolve the reason I drank? And my most helpful when studied IS the fact that if I don’t drink I don’t have to TRY to sober up AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Removing ALL alcohol and alcohol related
items, like favorite glasses, cups, anything
that would remind you or tempt you with
drinking poison is a very good start to your
addiction recovery.

That is what you call ACTION. You got into
action by removing those items you depended
on for so long.

Backing up your recovery with ACTION is
important. Now, what will be the next positive
action you can take to ensure not to go back
out and drink again?

Education and learning about addiction and
its affects on your mind and body is also and
extremely important. What is it about alcohol
that keeps me addicted to it? Why can some
drink one drink or never finish one and they
have had enough and for me when I drink
one, I want more and more and get into so
much trouble with hangovers, DWI's, bad
behaviors, lieing, stealing, cheating, manipulating
and so much more?

Where can you go to get answers to these
questions? Who can I talk to? Where can I
get help, support so that I don't have to go
thru recovery by myself? Someone who understands
exactly what Im going thru?

Reading is good, staying close to SR is good,
finding a recovery meeting near your home
is good, excellent, cause you get to hear it
yourself and see others in person that are
just like us who all want and need help to
remain sober or clean from drugs, prescription
meds, or other addictions.

Listen Learn Absorb Apply anything and
everything you can to help you stay on track
with your recovery/sobriety to become healthy,
happy and honest in your life.

There's no hurry or rush to learn all. It just takes
small steps, staying in today, not yesterday because
its gone and not tomorrow because it's not here yet.
Stay in the moment, inch by inch, moving forward
learning and taking action to remain sober and happy.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I recommend the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

The basic text book on how to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

I got 4 kids under 11.... So much better for them that I took steps.

Kinder, gentler, more loving... Every thing I always knew I should be as a Father.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

My suggestion is to get a plan in place so you are well-prepared before next weekend comes. Make a plan to be out of your house, visiting a sober friend, going to a movie, whatever you can plan so that you don't fall into the same drinking routine next weekend.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back

And get back up and stay strong. You can do it
Old 10-06-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for these posts - I have been in denial for years about my drinking. When I see my friends that are my age and they only have a glass of wine and stop .....I always wonder how they do it? I feel like they grew up, and I didn't. I appear to have - I have a great job, 2 great kids and a loving husband. SO many people would never think I had a problem. I always go to work, I don't blackout, I don't drive drunk. But once Im home - my dirty little secret comes out and I feel like crap the next day. I hide it with a lot of makeup. It is not a way to live. I keep forgetting things (birthdays etc).....insanity!!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I asked my Mum once why she drinks very little (one glass of wine 95% of the time, maybe 4 times a year, she will be a devil and have two)

She said that if she had anymore she gets a feeling like car or travel sickness coming on.

I had never ever experienced that drinking booze, not once.

I have been sea sick badly before, I thought "jeez if I felt like that after 2 glasses of wine, I'd stop too"

I then decided to conduct a bit more research of people I knew who weren't big drinkers... The amount varied a bit, but they all said something similar to what my Mum said.

After a few drinks, they feel relaxed and if they keep going they get sick pretty quickly.

So don't feel like you are a bad person. It is simply that your body processes alcohol differently to most of the population.

It is really no different to being born with an allergy to peanuts... Didn't ask for it, didn't cause it, only thing you can do really is not eat peanuts.

An allergy is just an abnormal reaction to food or drink or in the case of hayfever, to pollen.

So, baring that in mind, if you have an allergic reaction to alcohol, ie: you don't start to feel dizzy and sick on moderate doses..... The only sensible solution is to not drink alcohol.

No shame or self denigration required.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's the plan moving forward? if sheer willpower hasn't been working then it's time to work more support into your routine and change up the activities you get involved in at the weekends and the people you hang out with, to create new results!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back bebetter

I can't agree enough that a plan is a good idea. Willpower can only get you so far.
Have you any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeBetterforkids View Post
Well - I did great for 4 days and then the weekend came and went on a bender 3 nights in a row after the kids went to bed. I went through 3 big bottle of wine this weekend and a few beers on top of it. I feel like garbage - I cleared all the alcohol out of the house this morning and am ready to start over. I felt so great on the days I wasn't drinking. Day 1 here we go.....Have a great day everyone!
You can do this!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made a plan to get in my pajamas right after work and start cooking dinner. I kept busy and got through my witching hour between 6 and 7. There is nothing to drink which made it easier. Kids are heading to bed. I dug out all of yummy teas I used to drink while pregnant. Changing up my habits is tough but I made a plan and stuck to it. Onto day 2...thank you for all of your words/thoughts!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff!!

Though the weekend plan seems to be the most important, last week you went 4 days then a bender for 3 days, so Mon, Tue, Wed and Thur isn't really the issue, for me too those were the easier days, it's when Fri hits, what are you going to do different?

I went round in circles for a long time, weekdays were fine, then it all crashed at the weekend, we need to figure out what we're gonna do, and push alcohol out of our weekend routine once and for all!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Someone once said to me, after I told them I had emptied out all the booze in the house

"If you ever have the thought of going to the liquor store, get yourself absolutely stark naked & then go in."

I said "No way, I would never do that"

He said "exactly .... so you value your dignity more than a drink !!"

Smart man
Old 10-06-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree...weekends are difficult for me. I think I will make plans to go get coffee with one of my good non drinking friends on Friday night. Days are easy for me on the weekend (as long as I'm not hung over then I day drink to take the edge off) . movie night with the kids Saturday night and Sunday we like to get out shopping and out to dinner (which will be Friendlys instead of our usual , because they don't serve alcohol).BUT.....im going to get through tomorrow first