Notices

Feeling life's pressures

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling life's pressures

I've touched on this a little before, one of the things I've really found tough about sobriety is dealing with everyday pressures without booze.

Budgeting, career stuff, social life, self worth, staying healthy along with personal psychological issues, all these fears have focus now. The irony is I'm clearly dealing with things much better than when I was drunk (naturally) but it seems like every sober day is hijacked by a series of worst case scenarios buzzing around my head. I'd say I have around an hour from waking before these concerns taking over.

I think I lack the ability to accept the unknown, I never could, but before I could drowned those fears and get through the day knowing that when I got home I wouldn't have to worry any more.

Right now I'm trying to write down my issues and come up with logical courses of action, then deal with them and not worry. Unfortunately my attempts to become a vulcan like beacon of calm has yet proved evasive.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to experiment with ways to relax. I've been thinking of learning meditation. There's tons of scientific evidence that shows it's very effective and beneficial. You might look into an exercise program. Maybe take a walk when you're stressed. Maybe reading or some other hobby would help you with stress?

I sometimes get stressed over stuff but I try to remember that millions of other people face the same things and they don't get drunk over it. Sobriety isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card for our problems; sobriety is the one thing that can save our lives, but it can't fix every problem on its own.

One last option might be therapy. I don't know what your situation is but often there is free or low cost treatment available. And if you have insurance there are often things it covers.

Lastly, it might sound morbid but imagine for a moment that every one of your worries came to pass. What would happen? So many of the times the fear of a thing is worse than the thing. We generally have a level of resilience that we don't know we have. If you can accept that even if things get bad you will survive, it really helps.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dealing with stress is a big part of staying sober and learning how to live life without alcohol.

This might sound back to front, but it's a good thing you are feeling pressure - it's the opportunity to stretch yourself to the next level and gain more tools to cope.

I know it doesn't always feel great...but it's better than living under a rock in denial.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had develop a faith - not necessarily in God or a Higher Power - but faith that things would be ok. That was hard for me.

I was not used to things being ok

Don;t feel like you have to fix everything at once.
It's not that kind of deal.

I focused purely and simply on not drinking for the first month.

Have faith - the more things you face sober, the more you'll grow, and the more answers you'll find...you may even find that your perspective on a whole lot of things change.

Someone once said to me - 'don't be in such a hurry...what if you're right where you need to be?'

Blew my mind....

D
Old 10-01-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I posted up a similar thread myself about my new uncertainties in sobriety, the worst case scenarios are something I'm dealing with myself.

Meditation was mentioned above, and it's something I recommend; I've been meditating for about 5 years. It can be hard work at times (differs from person to person) but it's benefits of stopping the brain running away can be a good thing.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't freak out too much about not having all the answers right now, my mind sometimes can be my downfall, stress myself out over things that have either not happened yet or may not happen.

You don't need to have it all worked out just yet, Sobriety is the priority, the wisdom in one day at a time keeps things within a manageable timeframe, without getting too stressed about weeks or months down the line!!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like Dee, I had faith and I think in the beginning that was about all I had but it worked and it still gets me through the rough times.

I have found that every issue I have struggled with or obstacles I have over come has made me a little stronger along the way. The next one is much easier. “Everything will be okay” is my motto.

Small things do not even phase me anymore and big things, well I have that faith and I ask myself a question. Can I do anything about it right now? If the answer is no, then why worry about it, it just drains my energy.

If I can do something about it then I set out to get it done. Even small steps towards a goal are progress. I tend to look at things in steps now rather then a huge picture.

I want to paint the inside of the house, I don’t look at it as the entire house. That is WAY to daunting and I would set myself up to fail. To big. I will paint the bathroom or I will paint the hallway. When I get that done, I feel better. I still have a larger goal in mind but I accomplished some progress!

I take that stance on just about everything. I used to be one of those people that had, HAD, to get everything done and finished before I could relax. I am starting to break away from that. As long as I get some things done, then I am okay with it. I still have the tendency to go over the list in my mind though. I fiddle with it and turn it over. Sometimes to the point of down right pissing myself off…LOL

Breath and have faith. Make small lists and check them off as you go. It does not matter how fast you move forward, just that you move forward
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.