Notices

Completed Day 2

Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Completed Day 2

This is my first time joining a community, support group, or really making <strike>an effort</strike> the decision to become a non drinker.

I don't want to go into detail about my past just yet. I don't like thinking of the pain, lost opportunities, and feelings resulting from my drinking. I also feel like I will end up writing several paragraphs(with many digressions) remembering the last few years.

I'll start with this: For the most part, I have been drinking for the last ten years of my life. I drink impulsively and in excess. I don't have that "off" switch. I don't make the association that drinking is bad. Drinking can kill me/others. Drinking can hurt me/others. I just..don't care? If that makes sense. I'm not saying I don't want to live, but I just don't want to think of the consequences(Having reread that I just realized I do have a problem with responsibility). While I do enjoy the flavor of some cocktails and beers, I had come to just chug my drinks. I enjoyed shutting my mind up. I became accustomed to it. I was not used to living with my mind and I'm still not. Overtime, it became almost a daily activity and something I eventually had to hide from family, friends, co-workers. I feel very fortunate that I have not had any extreme repercussions, but, of course, extreme is a relative term. Like many of us, I've had those "ughh I'm not drinking for a while" mornings, but as soon as my body recovered(it could be as early as that night) I'd be back at it. I'm not getting any younger and I do not want to lose any more opportunities.

As of a few hours ago, I completed day 2. I have had much worse withdrawals from alcohol, so I am thankful I don't feel terrible, but by the very same reason I want to make sure that me feeling better doesn't make me relapse. That is one of the reasons I made the decision to join this community. As a reminder and for support. I now realize that it will take a lot of work on my part. I am taking on a new lifestyle. So I understand that I will have to make a huge conscious effort for a while. I bought some groceries today and was actually some what repulsed by the thought of chugging beer or going to the liquor store, but I did think about how I have enjoyed numbing my mind. I do enjoy the nightlife. Very much, in fact. It was not a bad craving though. I simply kept walking. My first real challenge is this coming weekend. A close friend is even coming to visit. I'll be back to ask for advice.

I'm going to stop myself now. I said I would keep it short and that didn't happen. I stumbled upon this site here:

I really enjoyed and related to the way Mark writes and definitely recommend to read through the links on his site. For too long I did not want to look at myself or what I was doing. I still struggle to do so, but do feel I am improving.

If you got this far, I thank you for taking the time to read. I did not join simply to seek help, but also to help however I can. It is my nature to keep in a lot of things. This became clear to me by looking up and reading my "short" introduction. There must be so much I have not let out. Before I finally stop, I just wanted to ask what vitamins/supplements/exercises you all have incorporated to help bring your body back to normal? I'm specifically worried about my liver, stomach, kidneys, and esophagus.

Thank you,
BlueBox
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was not allowed to post the link since I do not have enough "points". The website is livingsobersucks.com
Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bluebox,

Wow. I so relate to what you are saying about "shutting my mind up". That is exactly my impetus for drinking-anxiety and racing thoughts, and the burning desire to numb that out. I finally realized that drinking did that in the moment, but made those feelings ohhh so much worse for days afterward. I really look forward to reading more from you and seeing you around here. I haven't incorporated any specific supplements or exercise regimen, as I'm only five days sober and I'm just focusing on getting enough rest and proper nutrition right now. Exercise will come soon. Have a good night!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on the decision. Im on Day 5 and it sounds like your doing a lot better than I was on day 2. Our drinking habits were pretty similar. I was goin 7 years pretty strong. I look forward to hearing about how you are doing. Keep signing in, there is a lot of support and a lot of hope here.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR, Bluebox.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here BB & thank you for your post. You are among friends here & will find much support!! I think that any exercise you enjoy would be a great benefit & being kind to your body with good food & lots of water would be a good start. If you have concerns about damage done from drinking, it would be a good idea to see your doctor & be honest with him RE: the drinking.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BlueBox!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!