Notices

Class of October 2014

Old 10-15-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, just checking in.. day 17! Welcome all joiners, so great to read the posts and know I am not alone. Violetflame I hope you are ok, great to see people picking themselves up and getting back on the wagon, one slip does not need to mean failure. Yesterday was really hard, suddenly at 6 p.m. felt under tremendous pressure to drink, a friend asked me to call round and have a drink, I was ready to do it when she called and cancelled. I hurt for about two hours and then it was gone. There but for fortune was my resolve. I have learnt that I can't be complacent, this is a real challenge. Slept like a log and have woken feeling fantastic, how lucky am I? Day 17 rocks, good luck everyone for today, thinking of you all.. we can do this x
Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi dunsuppin, it's great that you made it through and didn't drink. Yeah, it's so great to wake up feeling good.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

"Giving up on your goal because of one setback is like slashing your other three tires because you got one flat." ~anonymous

It's inspiring to see so many hopping back on the bus! Way to keep at it.

This is day 5 for me, feeling much better physically and emotionally. What a relief. Hang in there everybody and make it a better day.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Just checking in. How is everyone going? I'm on day 17. Still finding it hard but feeling so much healthier and happier.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Wow, you'll soon be at three weeks SansaS. Fantastic and an inspiration to me for sure.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class. Day 13 for me.

My day is lined up nicely...Have a lot of work to do. Also have 2 AA meetings lined up for today. One at Noon and my regular evening one.

Beginning work on a Step Four of AA tonight. (Something i've avoided...)

But the time to start is NOW.

I hope everyone has a safe and sober day.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Another day 2 in my life. I am starting a new here, but have been here in a few classes. I hated seeing how long I have been on here trying, it was depressing and embarrassing. So, here is to a new beginning and hopefully new success.

evening wino, weekends the hardest, sometimes can go a few days, and have had months here and there. But I need to stop. getting too old, and it is so unhealthy.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hi all, Day 2 again for me. It wasn't hard for me not to drink last night, but new sobriety with a house filled with rowdy kids is a special kind of challenge. I wanted to take a nap after work, but instead it was time to wrangle homework, baseball, showers, dinner, etc. etc.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Feeling a bit battered today. I'm in the middle of organising a weekend of fun with my two best friends and my AV just will not shut up! "How are you going to not drink, huh? They'll all be drinking wine, you're going to look weird! Everyone is going to be uncomfortable if you don't drink!" And on and on and on....

Stupid bloody AV.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Social events are hard at first Pushkin. If you don't practice being sober at them how will you ever be comfortable? Just keep telling yourself you don't even enjoy it anymore. Which is probably the truth right?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Pushkin, how long are you sober? I am new in this group, but not new to attempting sobriety, and that would be a very difficult weekend for me in my first month of recovery. I have never made it more than 4 months, outside of pregnancy, and a big social event has been my downfall at least a couple of times.

I wish you strength on your weekend. I do not want to be negative, only cautionary.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Pushkin, how long are you sober?
This time round? Just two weeks! But the weekend we're planning isn't happening for another six weeks. That's the really weird thing - it doesn't feel like my AV is trying to get me to drink now, just to concede that on that weekend I will. It's so strange!

I have done several months of sobriety in the past and social events don't generally bother me (as long as I can bail out if people get drunk and annoying) and these friends are fantastically supportive. It just feels like my brain is going "Ok, this is all very well and good for now but this whole "forever" notion? Yeah, lets not do that..."
Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Day 2 (again)
Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post
Day 2 (again)
Focus on the fact that it IS day two! Forget the again business...

Don't look back! Dontlookbacchus. (Seriously. Without a Doubt. BEST username!)

What are you going to do to get further this time?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Recovering

Checking in for October after losing my job due to being off sick for 2 days..

I need a lifestyle change! On day 4 at the moment
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Josharon I hear you about having a house full of rowdy children, sometimes I feel like I'm running a free after school drop in center! lol

I'm exhausted from starting work so early this week..... 4 am is still night time in my books! But the woman I'm taking over for was apparently such a horror show that even though I just learned how to do the position yesterday everyone keeps coming over to tell me what a wonderful job I'm doing!! Hahahaha! Even supervisors from different parts of the plant!

I've had absolutely no desire to drink after my binge. In hindsight I shouldn't have hosted the dinner and I won't make the same mistake twice. When Christmas comes I will make sure that I have to drive to eliminate the temptation. Plus then I won't have to buy wine or beer for my guests.

I had a creepy thing happen yesterday..... my sons friend told him that she'd had a few inappropriate sexual encounters with her uncle, she's 10. I'm friends with her mother so I had the unpleasant business of having to tell her this. It was just the worst conversation I've ever had to have. My skin was just crawling and it was so awful to have to even talk about. My friend was so devastated. Terrible world we live in sometimes. My son had told me the night before and all day at work it was on my mind that I was going to have to tell her.... I would want to know if it was one of my kids. I still can't stop thinking about it.... the poor little girl.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

First time AV has poked its head in, suggesting it would be a fantastic idea to drink at the weekend. Erm, nope. I said to myself from the beginning I mustn't be complacent. But it's kind of already happened. I think, I need to do something everyday specifically addressing addressing my drinking, rather than just thinking it's great that I'm sober. Some things I have been doing anyway, but I will do them more deliberately If that makes sense. Like posting here, mediation and reading related literature. Plus other things, I need to build up my arsenal of coping mechanisms. It's starting to feel real. I had chose not to count days, for reasons I'm not entirely sure about now. So whether it's a good or bad thing, here's easy rider checking in at the end of day 5 sober. Bring on the weekend. I'm going to eat something unhealthy now. :-)
Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
This time round? Just two weeks!
I completely understand this internal dialogue. Awesome on two weeks!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Sitting here thinking how good a huge glass of red wine would taste. Ugh. Won't do it, but man, its tough. Wednesday's used to be date night, meaning wine was "allowed" at dinner. I would take advantage and drink till bed time. Having a hard time with the whole never again. Jeez, my brain is all over the place. One minute I am fine, and so proud of the days I have , next minute I am thinking of wine and catching a decent buzz.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Wow Ellay, it looks like you've got several weeks of sobriety...that's awesome!!! I slipped at 17 days and it started a whole week of boring, halfhearted drinking that wasn't even relaxing. Such a bummer. Hang in there, you're doing so great.