Notices

The science and benefits of boredom

Old 09-28-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

The science and benefits of boredom

A lot of us complain of being bored in early recovery...I know I did.

I found this article interesting

‘Neuroscience is finding that when we are idle, when we are bored, when we are not distracted or focused on something else, are brains are most active,’ notes Brigid Schulte, a reporter for The Washington Post and author of Overwhelmed: Love, Work and Play When No One Has the Time. Schulte and other researchers believe we may not have enough boredom in our lives—or at least not enough of the good kind.
The science and benefits of boredom - Life Matters - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Is having an active brain a good thing or not in early recovery?

D
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Interesting, indeed.

Is having an active brain a good thing or not in early recovery?
I think that depends on what activities are going on in the brain.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very interesting. Maybe that's why all my brilliant ideas come to me in my sleep. I wish I could remember them when I awake
Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks D
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very interesting article, Dee.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not good ! But I can only speak for myself. If I let my mind wander at this early point of sobriety, it'll wander to the liquor store. Thanks for sharing the article, Dee.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've heard "if you are bored it is because you are boring"...

I don't suffer from boredom much. I'm always doing something so no time to get bored...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I see the boredom thing a little bit differently Dee. At least when people report boredom in early sobriety.

There seem to be at least one of three different things that come into play. Sometimes all working in combination.

The first has to do with the pleasure centers in the brain. After being over stimulated (overused) for long periods of time it takes more to stimulate them in order to feel the same level of pleasure in doing normal activities. People in the beginning don't find much of anything pleasurable (aside from massive amounts of their favorite substance). As a result, they report that they are "board". It takes awhile for the brain to adjust to not having the chemical "solution" for "boredom" and for normal activities to again take on their pre addiction pleasurable qualities.

Another way that "boredom" comes to be reported, is by individuals who are seeking distraction. They want to be diverted from thinking about their problems or issues. The alcohol or drug allowed them escape dealing with something (depression, anxiety, a bad relationship or life situation). The lack of escape is labeled as boredom, although often the problem might more accurately be labeled as another emotion.

The third sort was mentioned in the article. "Toohey defines complex boredom as ‘a powerful and unrelieved sense of emptiness and isolation in which an individual feels a persistent lack of interest in and connection to his circumstances’. In its extreme form, it is closely akin to depression and can drive people to despair".

IMO This is a good description of a "spiritual illness" and is addressed well by AA.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thanks for the article lead, Dee.

I found it very irritating when people told me to keep busy in early sobriety. Keeping busy has never been my problem. But for a long time, I was physically incapable of regulating my mind to focus on a task. Boredom was not the word, tho lack of interest was part of it. Lack of interest, focus, energy, concentration, motivation -- you name it, I lacked it.

I think if you suffer in early sobriety from a lot of PAWS-type mental fog & confusion, that's a time when slogans like AA slogans, & very simple rituals like self-care can be a big help. I did something like walking meditation for a while, just trying to notice what colors things were.

For a normal brain, I do believe that idle time helps new ideas emerge. I call it percolating. It's been my excuse for all kinds of apparent inactivity.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Early on - getting better - but just want synapses to stop banging like 4th of July fireworks. My boredom leads to impulsivity. Sometimes creative, mostly just mush though. Rest, even brief naps for 15-20 minutes of quiet mid day helps me a great deal. Trying to discover normal and adjust as it's identified.

But, yes - too much cookin in the brain pan isn't necessarily good for me,
which is indeed exacerbated by boredom.