Notices

Taking a break from SR

Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANewDayNYC View Post
Ignore my original post. I will continue to post just dealing with a stressful job, rough breakup, and wondering if I have the willpower to stop.
Excellent. You made me delete my big, supportive rant. And I'm thrilled!!
Stay. You can do this. That's why we are here- to keep reminding you of that.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

you dont have to wonder... it does involve a bit of willpower but the main reason i dont drink

is understanding that it just doesnt solve anything and makes things worse

think of drinking like walking round in a circle constantly its no way to live
Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have the resiliency to deal with bad events. Just too much happened in one week.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

download the audiobook "getting unstuck: breaking your habitual patterns and encountering naked reality" by Pema Chodron. Has helped me tremendously. love and light my friend.....
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have the resiliency to deal with bad events. Just too much happened in one week.
Theres a contradiction i have had the day from hell you would never know it and i mean a real **** day loads of things happening at once

stood my ground stayed cool stayed sober

in my first week of sobriety somebody i know died of alcoholism

i had a choice i wont drink no matter what......or i risk death

pls dont take this in a bad light i mean it in the best way possible
Old 09-25-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
think of drinking like walking round in a circle constantly its no way to live
awesome way of putting it!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Risingup, I'll check out the audiobooks. Everyone else - I know I have a problem, I think everyone here knows there are difficult days.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Will be back tomorrow when I'm sober.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I've appreciated your posts in my short time here. I look forward to hearing more tomorrow. Be safe.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The choice is yours. Do what you want. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Bunnez
Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have a vacation around October 10th -
Holy cow...you're doing a whole lot of anticipatory thinking and drinking. You have a vacation on October 10th..where you "think" you might not be able to handle it..so you drank on September 25 in preparation so you wouldn't feel "guilt" for the "presumed" drinking on October 10 and beyond?

Thats a helluva lotta of future getting you out of being sober today.

I know that getting out of today and thinking bout what I will do before the situation actually arrives creates a whole lot of anxiety in the present.

I wish you well... a new day New Day...I hope you see how you got yourself all tangled up in a future you only have to control when you get there.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Holy cow...you're doing a whole lot of anticipatory thinking and drinking. You have a vacation on October 10th..where you "think" you might not be able to handle it..so you drank on September 25 in preparation so you wouldn't feel "guilt" for the "presumed" drinking on October 10 and beyond?

Your post made me laugh because it points out my ridiculousness. You basically summed up my thought pattern though.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ironically, the only thing that can convince some of us that drinking isn't a good idea, is more drinks.

The unfortunate part of that equation is the Russian Roulette we play with our lives and the lives of those around us and of the wider community itself.

I took to drinking by myself and giving the car keys to my wife.

Then one day, it just happened, sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I still managed to lose a fair bit even though practising a type of "harm minimisation " drinking technique.

I pray your "sick and tired " awakening happens sooner than later.

But I know you have to get to that desperate lonely place in your own way.

God speed
Old 09-25-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

NYC,
I've gone to interviews hungover and interviews not hungover. The not hungover ones were much better! I agree with the others that there is never an ideal time to quit.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

I know that getting out of today and thinking bout what I will do before the situation actually arrives creates a whole lot of anxiety in the present.

I wish you well... a new day New Day...I hope you see how you got yourself all tangled up in a future you only have to control when you get there.
Your post made me laugh because it points out my ridiculousness. You basically summed up my thought pattern though.
This all just makes me laugh because I am still up working for the job for which (in a complete state of hangover) I updated my resume 6months ago thus allowing me to realize that I could get now...but only if I stopped drinking then. Because I had started to drink for the hangover while I worked instead of the drunk while I drank. Then with a hangover I would not think about anything but work while I was working and not drinking. I got the job and now I am not drinking. Hmm.

Oh gosh, just put down that bottle. What agony.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I understand those tough days, ANewDayNYC! At first they were a big challenge to my sobriety but now they almost reinforce it. Guess it's my stubborn streak. If I drink then that means my problems have beaten me, and I won't allow that.

Hang in there...tomorrow is another day!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Anewdaynyc, we are stronger than our excuses. Don't let excuses get in the way of your future. My last relapse sent me spiraling downward, drinking started earlier in the morning and more often at work.

We all have the cravings, the temptations, that urge to just have a few drinks and everything will be great. Read through the experiences of this community. I havent read a single post that said their relapse experience was great, well worth the time and effort. Usually it's tourcherous days or months later that we are still clawing our way back to sober happiness.

I'm back at 81 days today and wish I hadn't given into drinking for the month of june this year.

Best wishes your way!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm still waiting for anyone to deliver a positive report on that front too ccam.

I have never been around to hear one yet.

The only silver lining seems to be that the experiment crushed out any last hope of a successful resumption.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm just coming off the back of a "break from SR", in the form of a 4 month relapse. This relapse was pretty dark and deep for me.......This is the first time I can honestly say to myself with out hearing the lie in my voice that I won't go back this time.

You don't sound ready to quit, you're planning your relapses and relapsing at the thought of your planned relapse. You will never make it until you feel ready and have finished with all the excuses you're head gives at the thought of quitting.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hoping today is a better day.