Notices

random thoughts

Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry random thoughts

Finished IOP today, after 10 weeks. Feeling lost, angry and alone again. Really nice, caring people there. Hard to find in the real world. Holding back tears. Really scared. I know how quick that switch in my head can turn on without even thinking about it. Don't trust myself.

Thought I shouldn't go straight home due to thoughts of drinking, so went to the gym and to an AA meeting hoping to get some inspiration and maybe something to laugh at. Didn't work, felt worse, left early.

Home now, feeling really low but I figure this too shall pass.

Trying to come up with stuff for this weekend to keep me busy. No commitments so far for next week, which is a big setup for problems. If I get through next week, I should be fine.

For those that are thinking I'm feeling sorry for myself and should be grateful that I had the chance to be in such a program (IOP), where others don't (because, based on some of the comments I got on my last thread about going to a detox center) somebody out there is thinking about it; yes, I am grateful, so grateful that it hurts when it's gone.

Reason for this thread: So maybe, by posting all this stuff, I'll be able to get some sleep tonight. John
Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good that you're here. Just keep posting and reading through the pain. Minutes will turn to hours will turn to days, and you'll get stronger.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am really glad that you logged-in and posted, 2much. SR is solidly in your corner; let us be part of your safety net.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure what IOP stands for, but assume it's re-hab or detox ?

Anyway, the thought of a drink and going to an AA meeting instead, you have actually accomplished something.
Sometimes it's not what we can get from an AA meeting, it's what we can give.
Simple things like getting there early and plugging in the kettle, setting up the coffee, milk etc.
Greeting a newcomer in worse condition than you are.

That's what "Turn our will...," means at it's core, our will comes from a thought and then we act upon it.
Congrats, you were more willing and thoughtful to go to an AA meeting than succumb to the thought of a drink... and then come here to share that experience. It inspires others !
Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sooner or later you'll have to start dealing with real life. I think you should try to keep your momentum and push through some time. Read and post. It is better to deal with real life sober.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never did IOP but finishing a course, especially if it was intensive, kinda left me a bit flat and blue too - you make a lot of connections and friendships.

I really hope you can find the kind of support you want and need John.

Have a good restful night. Take that drinking option off the table.
It's simply not viable for guys like you or me.

D
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure that after 10 intense weeks, it's a bit tough adjusting to the real world.

But, I know for a fact that there are really nice, caring people here too.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Finished IOP today, after 10 weeks. Feeling lost, angry and alone again. Really nice, caring people there. Hard to find in the real world. Holding back tears. Really scared. I know how quick that switch in my head can turn on without even thinking about it. Don't trust myself.

Thought I shouldn't go straight home due to thoughts of drinking, so went to the gym and to an AA meeting hoping to get some inspiration and maybe something to laugh at. Didn't work, felt worse, left early.

Home now, feeling really low but I figure this too shall pass.
Hi 2much.

I experienced this frequently in my first year of sobriety. I got sick of facing new challenges all along the way but, really, what were my options?

Another thing that won't kill you but could possibly make you stronger.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete55 View Post
Not sure what IOP stands for, but assume it's re-hab or detox ?

Anyway, the thought of a drink and going to an AA meeting instead, you have actually accomplished something.
Sometimes it's not what we can get from an AA meeting, it's what we can give.
Simple things like getting there early and plugging in the kettle, setting up the coffee, milk etc.
Greeting a newcomer in worse condition than you are.

That's what "Turn our will...," means at it's core, our will comes from a thought and then we act upon it.
Congrats, you were more willing and thoughtful to go to an AA meeting than succumb to the thought of a drink... and then come here to share that experience. It inspires others !
Very well said!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anna,

I never thought of it that way. Yeah, it was very intense and personal. Makes sense that there would be an emotional downturn after that. I was really surprised that I was feeling this way. Didn't expect it. Thinking of it that way makes it easier to deal with. Thanks!!!!
John
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

John, I remember when you started IOP! Glad to hear you've completed it. Well done!

I felt sad when I finished mine too, sort of a panicky feeling too on top of that. So I know where you're coming from.

Try and stay connected with some of those people you met in IOP if you can. Did you get any phone numbers? I ended up calling four of the people I met there and chatted with them on the phone a few times. It helped early on.

Reading books on relapse prevention helped me lots too. I have a few to recommend if you're interested. It helped just to know what signs to watch for in case you start having PAWS or any sort of spiraling out of control feelings and thoughts.

Are you reading any of the daily meditation books yet? Those keep me grounded.

SR does too!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SoberJennie

Yeah, the word "panicky" fits well!!! I did keep in touch with a few that left earlier through texting, and I traded number with someone yesterday. I do have a book on daily meditations somewhere. I'll look for it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. IOP also helped me to get out of my apartment and not be so isolated, like going to movies, a ballgame and actually learned how to kayak. Will probably catch a movie tomorrow since there's not much else going on, then there's a speaker meeting I've been going to on Saturday evening to finish off the day.
Feeling better this morning. I'll be fine.
Have a great day!! John
Old 09-26-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Buy the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

It's not the only book on sobriety but it is the original (so far as I know)

Helping me a lot.

It's quite incredible to me that they wrote a book in which I can identify my thoughts and actions, 80 odd years ago.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you're feeling better today. It's totally normal to feel a loss when you finish something like IOP. You went to a meeting instead of drinking! That is huge. You will get back on your feet and adjust. In early sobriety there were times I crawled into bed at 7:00 pm just because I had to. I've found that calming teas like chamomile and sleepytime help me a lot when I drink them at night.

Hang in there, and congrats on finishing your program!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey John, so glad I logged on and saw your post. I so admire you for how far you have come. You really are an inspiration and I know you can get past this period of apprehension. You have a lot to offer. Write me to let me know how u r doing. S
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool signature gcg
Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post

Reason for this thread: So maybe, by posting all this stuff, I'll be able to get some sleep tonight. John
Sorry that I didn't see this thread yesterday John. Hope that you woke up on the sober side of the bed on this (beautiful day).

Bob
Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovered

Glad you are feeling better.

The AA solution is the STEPS. Do you have a sponsor and are working the steps? Relief is therein.