Notices

How has sobriety changed your perspective of time??

Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I like this question and enjoyed reading the different perspectives here.

How has sobriety changed your concept of time? Past, present and future???
I'm freshly sober - so here is my fresh perspective.

- time is more - crystalline. I experience it more sharply, which makes sense, because my senses are no longer dulled by the effects of alcohol.

- in keeping with that thought, I am more aware of how quickly time flies when there is life to be lived and doings to be done.

- as my interests turn more from "me-me-me-me-me" to an awakening of an awareness of the lives of others, I am more impressed by the transience of life in general and am more deeply affected by the events that occur in other people's lives. Time is flying for them, as well. (Case in point, with the recent deaths in your town).

As for right now, here is my perspective on the past and future. This may change (ask me again in the future. LOL)

- Myself, personally, am not too bothered by my past. I've done some awful things under the influence of alcohol, but I still chose to spend my time that way. I believe there is something to be learned from everything, no matter what it is. It is up to me to see the good that can be gained/attained. The lessons that can be learned. The enactment of said lessons in present-day for present and future benefit.

- I do worry a bit more about my future, because of my past. I try to daily practice detachment from outcomes; to do what I can and leave the rest to just simply BE what it is. I am human, I am fallible; doesn't mean I sit on my a** unnecessarily; it's not an excuse, just a recognition that I can only do so much.

~~~~

Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
We all know what alcohol does to our memory. We can't even remember conversations from the night before. When we sober up we can think, remember the past, think about the future et. We are aware again and truly appreciate time and how short our lives are.

This comment really struck me.

Got me thinking about the relationship between time and memory in general.

Without the use of our memory, what would our concept of time be like? Leads me to ponder the point of time in context of the quality of life, and how much of that relies upon memory. I feel like I touched the tip of an iceberg there, I bet there's a tome on it somewhere that delineates it much better than I ever could.

Thank you for that food for thought, aborkie

Last edited by roguedreams; 09-25-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: unfinished sentence/thought
Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
The feeling I have at mid 50's is almost like Scrooge in Dickens classic tale. Specifically when the character awakens and asks the boy out the window on Christmas Day, while the fresh (cleansing) snow falls - what day is it? Good I haven't missed it!
Like this, Flynbuy?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
Like this, Flynbuy?

That's IT!

I am still not above petty theft.......so, hope you don't mind if I steal this! The child-like nature of regeneration is truly a living testament of grace, I believe.

Release me from the bondage of self - Yes! Brotherly love which has been missing or only present at times - like vinyl record that skips in spots.

Thanks for the terrific insight,
Glad you are on the island of misfit toys with US!