Notices

Day 4 - kind of

Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 - kind of

Good morning ! I opened a beer last night . Once I opened it, I decided to sit down and go over how much we spent in booze last month (mainly on my wine and cigarettes - I only smoke when drinking) - We spent over $600 - I dumped the beer out and made a bag of popcorn. Tonight - I have plans to not go home right after work to break up my routine and get through the hour between 6 and 7 when I struggle the most. Have a great day everyone - I feel stronger than ever!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wonderful! Congrats! The money really adds up, doesn't it?
Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It makes me sick how much money we spend on alcohol - I could afford a Mercedes car payment. I am still struggling and am very tired (I think my body is trying to rid itself of all the poison) My husband actually gave me the idea of totaling it up to distract me and then it made me change my mind very quickly about the beer. Too close for comfort though - I needed to make a plan for tonight.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is shocking to see the $$$ add up

Once you establish a habit for a few weeks, you'll know how to handle the evening cravings better. What about taking that potential $$ surplus and investing some of it into a hobby during those hours?
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

BeBetterforkids,

Yes, the dollars we spent make no cents......

As your moniker indicates, you understand how much better life will be for those around you by quitting. Good!

That is a huge motivator for many, myself included.
At day 109 sober, if I get a mental urge I "run the tape" in my head.....it always plays out the same. Unlike new movies, there is no alternate ending which is more favorable.

The reflection of my despair I could see in my loved ones eyes I simply did not want to see anymore.

Today, that despair has been replaced by light......I have no intention of turning the switch back off, it would be so selfish.

I have grown quickly to understand however, I must stay stopped for me. The positive externalities of this ACTION are simply sprinkles on top of the sober cake!!!

The act of being that close - opening a beer is wayyyyyy to close, perhaps! Stronger plan maybe if you have placed sobriety as you number one goal above all else!

The gift of sobriety is there to open.....but, a plan - action - and work are required. Willpower for me never worked........

peace
Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is there a way to get rid of the alcohol in your home? That will probably make things easier.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go not drinking the beer. I hope you find something you love doing for that hour. It will make it easier. Day for is awesome. You are doing great, and I am so proud of you. Remember, you are not alone, we are all here with you and for you. I spent a lot of time in the chat room here in my early days. It really helped me.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Way to stay strong for the family and yourself! As for the money, I think I'm going to figure out something to treat myself to once I hit 100 days. If I think about it, that is easily a luxury vacation with money left to spare! We are crazy people! :-)
Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We have been struggling financially - living pay check to pay check. We have known why for a long time - Usually by a Thursday - I have already drank 2-3 large bottles of wine and beers on top of it. That's over $100 right there - not to mention the cigarettes. Not going to dwell on it - but it is one more reason to stop....
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BeBetter - we are also struggling financially and I cringe when I total up the package store category each month.

Definitely hoping that with us both not drinking our finances will be easier to manage
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Finances are definitely yet another legitimate reason to stop drinking. I used to smoke and I quite when I said to myself its insane to pay so much money to essentially expedite my death. Funny that I only realized drinking was the same thing more recently.
I'm glad we're all on the right path.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and that the beer went down the drain. Changing the routine is a great idea. I had to change the way I drove home from work for a while.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Job well done last night, BBFK! It's astounding sometimes how expensive financially addiction can be! Use that savings to do something fun with the family.