Notices

Day 6 ill and cant sleep

Old 09-25-2014, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 ill and cant sleep

Haven't craved a drink yet so doing ok in that respect, sleeping was quite bad before which I put down to the booze, but now it's even worse. I'm full of cold which doesn't help but I only sleep till about 1.30 and then it's waking every half hour till my son gets up (usually between 4 and 5). I thought by now that sleeping would have improved. I am drinking more tea but I have it so weak that I would probably need to drink three to have the same amount of caffeine as a normal cup. Agghhh I'm so tired and run down just want to be healthy.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about you Mavis, but I drank for a long time
It takes time to heal from that and to get healthy again.

Take good care of yourself, try to be patient and I'm sure you'll be feeling better and sleeping better soon

D
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi MavisTheFairy13,

Well done on 6 days.

Tea - my doc told me that the strength of the tea didn't matter. I didn't challenge him on that but I can imagine the caffine could come out of the tea leaves first. I now drink peppermint tea instead.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sleep will come rest assured on that! 6 days is awesome btw!

Give it a few more weeks and you will be snoozing 8 hours a night I reckon
Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

great job on 6 days, keep it coming!!!

Sleep... boy tell me about it. Today I woke up at 2:30. Then again at 4:15. Some nights I sleep well. Most nights though I am waking up at least once and not sleeping with really well-rested sleep.

Stress? Anxiety? Just part of being 40+? Still recovering from years of heavy alcohol use?

I don't know. I'm nine months sober though and overall it feels very very good.

But I sure do long for good, uninterrupted slumber!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never drink anything with caffeine after noontime. Try switching out your pm drinks to herbal tea or caffeine free. ..stretching before bed helps your body to relax as does your calcium, magnesium supplement.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mavis,
Awesome job on 6 days! I can say that sleep wasn't a huge problem for me...my sleep was more interrupted when I was drinking. However, I was constantly tired and, for some reason, my cold (I had a cold the same week that I quit drinking) took longer to heal than normal??? I will be a month sober on Monday and I can say that the past few days I have finally gotten some energy back, so, maybe give it another week or so! Your body is still adjusting!!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Mavis massive hugs for day 6 yes the sleeping patterns will start to regulate just hang in threre

i knew once i got to a month i wanted this sobriety for life i knew i could do it from that point

Mavis from our first conversation to the one were having here

i want you to know i believe your going to do this mavis your doing so well

massive hugs once again mavis

love this post
Old 09-25-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh man! I'm so sorry you can't sleep...that is the worst. I've been sleeping OK, but still wake up exhausted (Day 8). Is there a reason you don't drink coffee in the morning? I honestly couldn't function without it, and I don't have a child waking up at 4...I get to sleep until 6! :-(
Old 09-25-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did you say you also have a cold? Once that is gone you probably will sleep better. Congrats on 6 days!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I don't drink coffee at all, only weak tea. I've tried decaff tea (yuck) and all kinds of herbal teas (double yuck) I'm just old school British tea drinker lol but ill try to cut back in an afternoon. Thanks for all your support I wouldn't have got to day 6 without it
Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Day 6 is awesome Mavis! Keep it rolling.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

My sleep was awful when I was drinking. I awoke at a very predictable 2:30am every day with a pounding head and a bucketful of regret. Sober, my sleep is still uneven, but sober insomnia is far, far better than drunken insomnia. I embrace it and just do something with the time now.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not sleeping great either, sure it will get better as time goes on. Well done, you are a day ahead of me

Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting this far. I had a hard time getting paste the crappy, sleepless nights in early sobriety. I often went back to the bottle because of them. You will get through this and you will feel better. Guaranteed.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I stopped all caffeine.
I actually have done it before... it's hard at first but really helpful.

You can always talk to your dr and tell him what's going on. There are rx's to help you get your sleep back on schedule.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Being stressed about not sleeping can make things so much worse. At least you haven't got a hangover to go with it. Well done you have started that's what matters sleep will come ;-)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on day 6,I am sure your sleep patterrn will improve in time.Camomile tea with honey is good,I was given it in hospital in Italy when I had my first baby,it works.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 6, Mavis.

Healing takes time. Your body is experiencing a major adjustment. Normal sleep patterns should return, with time.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MavisTheFairy13 View Post
Thanks everyone I don't drink coffee at all, only weak tea. I've tried decaff tea (yuck) and all kinds of herbal teas (double yuck) I'm just old school British tea drinker lol but ill try to cut back in an afternoon. Thanks for all your support I wouldn't have got to day 6 without it
Day 6 sober here too...

and not sleeping great either...

Tea drinker too (organic green tea) and I make it strong, I need the energy kick (I hate the down that coffee gives me, so I stick with my grean tea) and I try to have my couple of cups before noon! and I noticed that it helps my sleep a little bit when I do so...

Hang in there and congrats of making it this far!