Notices

That Fear

Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That Fear

Does anyone else lose sleep thinking about if something that you've done while under the influence that you have no clue of may one day come and ruin your life? Please tell me this fades over time.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It fades over time if you work on moving forward with a plan. By a plan I mean first stopping drinking ( you mentioned in another thread that you are still drinking ) and then working on a sober life. That could mean AA, AVRT, counseling, rehab, or any combination of those or other things.

Having a plan allows you to live your life in the present and make positive changes. It also shows people around you that you are serious about it and can help re-gain their trust. You can't change what you've done, only what you do.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lots of anxiety in the early days. That could be what you're feeling. And, it should subside somewhat.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Aniexty is the worst thing in the world, i am suffering really badly by it at the moment.

Try and stop the drinking, get out for walks etc and generally try and relax(i know easier said than done)
Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

it will completly fade away your just anxious like others have said
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It fades over time if you work on moving forward with a plan. By a plan I mean first stopping drinking ( you mentioned in another thread that you are still drinking ) and then working on a sober life. That could mean AA, AVRT, counseling, rehab, or any combination of those or other things. Having a plan allows you to live your life in the present and make positive changes. It also shows people around you that you are serious about it and can help re-gain their trust. You can't change what you've done, only what you do.
Hi Scott,

Yes I have been drinking. I made a renewed commitment to stop 3 days ago. I can stop drinking for long periods and I am not easily influenced by others to drink. My biggest enemy is myself. After I while I think "I'm doing pretty well, I'm handling this.... I can have a drink or two and be able to manage". I want to never get to this point, I never want to feel relaxed about picking up a drink. I have tried AA and while I am very spiritual, I just couldn't relate. I will be looking into other options. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by EJM824 View Post
Hi Scott,

Yes I have been drinking. I made a renewed commitment to stop 3 days ago. I can stop drinking for long periods and I am not easily influenced by others to drink. My biggest enemy is myself. After I while I think "I'm doing pretty well, I'm handling this.... I can have a drink or two and be able to manage". I want to never get to this point, I never want to feel relaxed about picking up a drink. I have tried AA and while I am very spiritual, I just couldn't relate. I will be looking into other options. Thanks!
For me Acceptance was the key to moving forward. Specifically, accepting that I am an alcoholic and that drinking is NEVER going to be an option for me. For those in aa, that acceptance comes in the first step. For those doing AVRT, it comes by acknowledging the AV/Beast. There are certainly many more methods and ways, but in the end it's all about accepting the reality - we cannot drink - EVER.

Once you accept that, things get a lot simpler. You can work on living your life and realizing that as an alcoholic, life is far better without alcohol. I wish you the best of luck in finding something that works for you, and congrats on the decision and your 3 days of sobriety.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Scott is on point!

Not to go all AA on you but regrets and how to deal with them is critical in the program. Acceptance was the answer!

From the Big Book - into action - we will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.....

By addressing the issues that cause the fear, we are able to deal with our past.

As Scott stated, there are many ways - but dealing with this fear is critical in recovery.

peace
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate all your help