Notices

The extent to which I put recovery first: blurred lines

Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't be so hard on yourself, there are plenty of people out working each day and yet still coming home to drink themselves into bed each night, and here you are attending meetings and remaining Sober, sure it doesn't pay the bills, but in the long term it's a more sustainable path to be on.

I think I got into the mindset that as long as I was working and being productive in life then everything was fine, I was contributing, using my potential, but that all meant nothing whilst I was drinking, because the reality was I was just on one long slippery slope into chaos that would have caught up to me sooner or later.

Sobriety in itself is an achievement and that is something to be proud of!!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3arai View Post
<---totally look into it. Even girls who already have child care in place will be dealing with last minute cancellations, leaving them scrambling to find a fill-in or missing a night's work. So find a polite way to give those women your contact info, just in case, or maybe to pass along to someone who needs a sitter. Where I live you can legally babysit 3 children in your home with no special business permit. That's pretty decent money.

If your body is still on a night shift schedule, that can work to your advantage. Do people still deliver newspapers? Just an idea, if you're used to being up at 3 am ... it seems like it would be kind of peaceful...
Just suggesting these while you get started on the more lengthy process of a career path....

Also, call your cell phone co. Tell them you are experiencing financial hardship due to illness and you absolutely need cell phone service as you are self employed. Tell them you have applied for gov't assistance and expect some relief soon. Ask if there is anything at all they can do for you. They will work with you.
Actually Sarai - this is a great idea for a scalable business. Sitters for Dancers - I could see this pitched on Shark Tank. Cuban would definately invest.

Anyhow, this seems like an excellent idea. Most of the girls I knew all had children and used their mom to help. They all made thousands each night too. In fact, one in NYC was bringing in well over $500K annually - much of which was off the books. Reliable, safe childcare I think could be an untapped opportunity here.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I sent you a PM but just wanted to add:

Yes to the childcare! I pay my nanny $21/hour and she makes me feel like a cheapskate. ;-) Based on my own experience with taking care of my own children in very early recovery, may I recommend the backup option as opposed to taking on a full-time gig?

Check out the Workforce Investment Act program. You may be able to get free training and intensive employment services based on your low-income status. For example, in my area a lot of people are getting their PMP certification and it is in high demand.
Register with a temp agency (or several). If you present well, have computer skills, and are both flexible and reliable, they can keep you busy.

Good luck to everyone who is job searching!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Rogue, lack of money was one of my biggest triggers too. I've enjoyed reading this thread because so many people have come up with so many good ideas. It's a great showing of what just asking can do for us all. Things we may never have thought of.

I don't have much to add. Just wanted to say we're in your corner!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
And PS - the silly thing is I did that original resume sober.

Shows what trying to operate during detox will do (or, um, undo?) ha.
Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Hi Rogue, lack of money was one of my biggest triggers too. I've enjoyed reading this thread because so many people have come up with so many good ideas. It's a great showing of what just asking can do for us all. Things we may never have thought of.

I don't have much to add. Just wanted to say we're in your corner!
Loved this post
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

let's see, I had my cable disconnect, I dropped my cell phone plan down to next to nothing, I stopped eating out, I stopped doing a lot of things I was used to doing when I lost my job. Was concerned about having to sell house. Humble Pie is right.
But I learned how to cope and adjust. Think of it as a temporary setback. Get your mind right first, then come up with a plan to better yourself. People have been far worse off and rebounded. It doesn't happen in a week.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Have you thought of applying at a temp agency? Even a very short-term assignment would bring in a bit of cash. Another thought: with elections coming up, some counties hire temp workers to work polls, check signatures on mail-in ballots, etc. Might be worth looking into. Know things are tough now but leaving a toxic work environment sounds like an investment in your future. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roguedreams View Post
Thank you, Sober"Lay" (which I how I always pronounce it in my head? I think we had this convo before! Lol)
Yes, we did. It was "Cow" here on SR who said that my name sounded like a disappointing sexual experience!!!!! Still makes me chuckle.

Soberlee.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

P.S. - I think the childcare idea is a great idea, also. There is always such a demand.