Notices
View Poll Results: Did your personal finances get better or worse after you quit drinking?
Worse
4.39%
Better
95.61%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Finances and Alcohol

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Worst I guess for now because I quit right before going bankrupt so my creditors are slamming me with interests rates to make sure I stay under.

But they won't win, I will.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It doesn't really matter. Mentally I'm still like a teenager even though I'm 35. When I get money I always spend it on something stupid.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I couldn't hack my high stress job sober, so from that perspective, worse. I still voted better, drinking always cost me plenty. There was also every indication I would have eventually found myself in some serious legal troubles, I was a maniac.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Even if I only added up the money I spent directly on booze (so not the peripheral partying, gambling, etc.) over the past 20 years... it is staggering. I look forward to that money improving my financial situation over the next 20 years!

I have historically earned a very good wage, but that gave me the excuse to spend whatever, whenever. I never thought much about it...somehow leading to monthly credit card bills in the 1000's. If I look at my life early and even recently. That behavior is not in my nature.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Much better. I save a lot by not buying alcohol or going to bars and I'm more responsible in terms of my spending and saving habits now that I don't drink.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am now saving about $400 a month AND remembering to pay bills online. Funny how logging in and paying them seemed like such a chore with a hangover. Everything is better now.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I put around $150 a week into a savings account, the money I used to spend on wine and cigarettes. We've bought some really nice things with that, today we got a new TV and sound box for it for about four week's worth of former boozing of my part.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It has only been a couple of days for me, but I have already saved twenty bucks from not hitting the store! I think i will buy a nice lunch today.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A little worse. Obviously I spend less but I quit a well paying job for another which pays less but makes me happy.

Chasing money never made me happy. I'd take double the pay cut as long as it meant having this life and not my old one.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Much better. I now pay my bills in full and on time. All that wine I was drinking took money away from paying bills and I was deep in debt. Not any more.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Better, I finally got the time and energy to work a second job.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Well, I lost a $200K+/year career, so I would say worse, BUT everything else got SO. MUCH. BETTER. I will never be well-off or even have a career like that again, but I am happy and free from the fear of financial insecurity. I have food on the table and a place to sleep. Life is pretty darn good I would say.
This is a good perspective. I was about to chime in and say I've saved quite of bit of money, but I lost my business.....go figure.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Loving Sobriety

Much better. I was spending $700 / month on booze and was always in a mess financially. Now I pay my bills before they are due and save as well.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power

A little bit better, but probably not by nearly as much as some other people. I was always a very budget-conscious drinker, looking for the best deal per unit of alcohol. Mostly bottom-shelf vodka, which in my state is sold dirt cheap due to practically non-existent liquor taxes. I probably save about $100-$150 per month by not drinking.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SWB

Just on day one(again), saved $20 not going to the store today. I realized yesterday I had spent just over $1k in two months time on high end tequila. What a wast.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Poll is missing an option.

"Same" should be included. As a bar owner I am unable to see any difference in ordering by me not drinking anymore.

Not to mention sales reps have quotas where their boss is on them to have sit down sales sessions with as many of their customers as possible.

They love the reliable sources which mean they always pack special bottles when they come with samples. I've sipped a shot of tequila that was poured from a bottle with a $1900 wholesale price tag.

If they know you'll sit down and drink with them for an hour they'll be at your place a couple times a week. They have GPS devices and are monitored. I'd spend my afternoons tending a slowish lunch place with a revolving door of reps bringing me free drinks.

That said I'm taking more ownership in my place and labor was down a considerable amount last month so I suppose I might just need to look at the big picture.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Editor

Like many on here...I am saving from not drinking...around 600 per month often more...but it goes to the bills I should have been paying...by the grace of God I still have my job. I would say the best part is I no longer have the financial stress of not having enough to pay the bills and pay for my addiction...as we all know the Addiction always won that battle.....causing even more stress for not having enough for the bills. It is a great feeling to pay bills in full ahead of time. D
Old 08-28-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

About the same or worse. I still buy things that make me feel good...like treats for my cats, sewing supples and holiday decorations. That costs alot more than a bottle of wine.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Pretty hard question to answer really. There are many variables. Can't really answer this one. Sorry!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I ususally have $20-$40 dollars on me, and when I was drinking that money would be gone every single week. Now If I get 40 bucks, it'll stay in my jeans pockets for 2-3 weeks before I run out. I only buy chew now.