Notices

Finally been to the doctors

Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally been to the doctors

Finally got the courage up and went to the doctors. She was really helpful and thinks I have under lying anxiety issues which are probably the reason I use alcohol as a crutch or should I say used (35 days sober). She's given me a few options to consider how to deal with anxiety. Going for my bloods taking on Wednesday to see if i've done any damage to my health and then back the week after to decide what course of action to take.

I found out a lot of things about anxiety that I thought were just me starting to go mad but there actually symptoms.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who advised me to go and although I cried my eyes out and felt like an idiot I'm feeling so much more positive about thinks.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad things went so well and that you are feeling better, Oswin!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awesome! When I finally went to the Dr. for depression it was such a massive relief to be told depression is a disease like diabetes or heart disease and that I didn't need to be ashamed about it.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great step with going to the doctor with full disclosure. I was coerced by my doctor to have blood work done, even though I really, really, really didn't want to. It was one of the best things that could have ever happened to me.

Sitting there in his office and hearing the state of my health from a professional really made the seriousness of my drinking a reality. It was out in the open now. I could now look at it more scientifically rather than the same old rationalizations I made while sitting at home and drinking. I realized that age was no longer an excuse and I really had to turn this ship around at 32 or it was going down quickly.

Great work on the 35 days as well. That's a huge start. I once heard someone say that three months was easier than three weeks. I think he also said that three weeks was easier than three days. Boy, is that the truth! During my first month I felt like I could explode (or implode) at any moment. Thank goodness we never have to have those days again. 35 days is an amazing start!

One more thing, my prognosis was not good but not terrible. It was such a relief to learn that our bodies can and do heal with abstinence. Yours will heal too.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Melindaflower thanks, having my bloods taken is definately a scary thought. The doctor said did you think about your health whilst you were drinking. My honest answer was my head was firmly stuck in the sand. Only since I stopped I've realised the damage I have likely done. Fingers crossed I get OK results and can draw a line under it and start looking after myself. If not I will have to deal with the consequences of my actions. But I know I dont want to go back to poisoning my body like that.

I must say even after a month I've noticed a difference round my eyes, they definately look fresher and not so dark underneath so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Will let you know the dreaded results
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

loved that post oswin well done
Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work on taking that step and seeing the doctor. I'm 8 days sober but I haven't been to the doctor yet. I'm pretty sure I was self medicating depression with the alcohol and it's kind of hitting me now. I some ways I feel so much better but I am for sure depressed, irritable and anxious... the thought loops I was silencing with booze are back full force. I think it's time I got some proper medical help.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a positive helpful post you shared
here with other SR members. Just coming
here and sharing about your positive
experience trip to the doctor, not only
helped you but also gives others the
encouragement to take that first step
in seeking help for whatever reason.

Stepping up, reaching out, accepting
suggestion, following thru, being responsible
for your well being, staying sober using
a recovery program, sharing your ESH -
experiences, strengths and hopes with
others, shows a willingness to go to
any lengths to do whatever you need
to do to remain sober, healthy, happy
and honest in your recovery life.

Good Job..!!!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many are about doctors, but doctors are just awesome. Mine really calms me down.
I had weird spots on my back, face. For me it was cancer. He laughed a bit when he said "you are just getting older"

Well done and hope the blood results are aok
Old 09-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! I need to do the same thing. Here for you!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great stuff!!