Notices

Setting up my own meeting out of desperation

Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Setting up my own meeting out of desperation

I am seriously considering setting up a meeting in my home town, in English. As I live in Spain, and do not have a sufficient grasp of the language yet, meetings lack the identification/social factor that they did in the UK. I cannot say that they are completely useless, as getting off my backside and attending meetings is beneficial. However, I tend to sit there and twiddle my thumbs, getting bored if I am honest. I then stop going, and it is only a matter of time until I succumb to a binge, and I am sick of hurting other people like that. I am also sick of failing. Last year a very very narrowly escaped going to jail, by being fined a fortune, and I know another run in with the law here will see me inside for at least 3 years. Yet, despite this, I still succumb to the drink. Pure insanity.

I would fully expect that I would be just about the only person to attend the meetings, as I do not live in a town known for its expat community. And there are very few English speakers here. However, I don't know what else to do. I need to go to meetings, and be involved in the running of one. Even if I sit there on my own, reading the literature, I think this would do me good as I would be available for anyone who does happen to walk into the meeting room, looking for help. The responsibility of opening the meeting on the off chance that someone else might attend would help pull me through the danger times.

Is setting up a meeting a simple process? Has anyone got experience of doing this. Any information would be appreciated. Or, does anyone think this is a crazy idea and I should drop it, due to the almost zero demand for an English meeting in my town?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aren't there any towns reasonably close to you with a large English speaking community? Even if you had to drive a long way, only once a week, that would likely be worth it. In early AA they only had one meeting a week.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea how to go about this but sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone in the other meeting speak english? Can you ask them how to go about setting up an english speaking meeting?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I think it’s a good idea. It used to be said a new meeting is set up with a resentment and a coffee pot and many flourished. You might get in touch with AA World Central Office in NY to get info about common literature and print outs. I personally feel that 12 and 7 PM meetings are good time slots along with listening to the local needs. It all starts small. Good luck.

BE WELL
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

it shouldn't be difficult to start a meeting.

If you prefer, you may send an e-mail to [email protected], but please be sure to include your name, location (country), and whether you are an A.A. member in your message.

AA World Service in New York: (212) 870-3400

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/inform...rvice-activity

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/index
Old 09-13-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

how long will it take to attend spanish speaking lessons ?

i have never tried to learn a new language so dont know how long it takes to start to get a grasp of it ?

in the old days in my area there was just one chap who started an aa meeting after a few months someone else came by so then there was 2 lol
today 50 years on the meeting is full but it has to start some how in every town across the world aa meetings start up and grow or die as the case may be so there is no reason for you not to try to open up one in your area
you never know there might be another lot of alcolics out there who would love a meeting and have given up as they dont understand the language : ) who knows how it will work out unless you try it

i was like you with my drinking i ended up in trouble many times with the courts etc in the end i did end up going to prison as i just couldn't get off the drink, even when i came out of prison i still carried on drinking
i can remember saying i am really going to change when i get out of prison and turn my life around
only when i got out the idea that i needed a drink to celebrate my release wouldn't hurt just this one time
back into the madness i went and back again to prison i would go for my drunken fights etc
good luck to you but you always have online help and if you ever need a chat you can pm me as i pop on most days
Old 09-13-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It would certainly be possible, but you outline many reasons that it would be difficult.

What about supplementing the meetings you already attend ( you say they help ) with online meetings ( which can be done from anywhere ) and SR? Or how about seeking a sponsor that speaks English fairly well?

You mention motivation ( or a lack of it ) to go more than once as well. To play devils advocate, perhaps you are simply using this situation as an excuse to avoid going to the meetings?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Shaun! Haven't seen you since last year. Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Even if I sit there on my own, reading the literature, I think this would do me good as I would be available for anyone who does happen to walk into the meeting room, looking for help. The responsibility of opening the meeting on the off chance that someone else might attend would help pull me through the danger times.
That's pretty strong, Shaun. Go for it.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Starting a new meeting is an excellent idea. However, it sounds like you are early in the process and I just want to make sure the motivation is to not create YOUR AA.

I thought I should rewrite the Big Book, start my own meetings - the World according to JDooner. Wouldn't that be great? Perhaps not for everyone else. This was part of my active mindset that needed fixing. There is something to be said with conformity when it comes to the addict/alcoholic.

Just make sure the motives are true - if so go for it - your service will help others.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good questions have been asked here already...

Have you thought of other options Shaun - online meetings - not only AA but SMART or Lifering?

or Rational Recovery - no meetings at all?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, good points, there may be other options that work for you Shaun.

I hope that setting up a meeting works out for you, Shaun.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I say go for it. Some good suggestions about contacting AA international. Maybe if there are Spanish speaking members who attend the meeting you go to who have long term sobriety and speak English you could approach them for assistance in setting one up. Even if you only have one other person attend it only takes two AAs to make a meeting.

My husband talked at one point of creating a new meeting - for couples in recovery. All you need is willingness and coffee. And someone who knows the program. Good insight you have that the commitment to being involved will help you. Even if you try and don't get it off the ground your efforts will keep you focused. Maybe contact the Spanish AA office and see if they have contact information for other English speaking groups in Spain and reach out to those other groups to see what they did?

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Many thanks for your replies, they're all very valuable. I think I need to be around other people as opposed to online meetings. In fact I really do miss the 'human' contact I used to have in England. I don't get much over here. I have tried online meets they didn't do much for me. I need to have a sponsor/talk face to face with other people. With proper AA structure/routine. I was in AA for about 8 years whilst in the UK, and went through the steps etc.

The nearest English meeting here is in Seville! That's about a 1 1/2 hour train journey, each way. There used to be one close by, but that has closed down. I don't know of any other alternative to AA so I will look into SMART or Lifering.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe you can simply fire back up the one that closed down?

In any case, you are looking at options and stirring up options for your sobriety, and that's key for success I think. Great job!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Welcome back, Shaun.

I sometimes find myself weary, and wary, of reading comments from people who talk about all the things they can't or won't do to get sober despite the walls falling down all around them, so your comments are inspirational...starting your own English-speaking meeting. Wow.

I'd follow the suggestions of contacting AA International or whatever else they're known as, and then take it from there. You never know what can come of your desire to get well and your willingness to do whatever it takes until you actually do something about it.